Feasability Enquiry 130 Conversion

Has anyone tried mounting one of the Folding type caravans eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Esterel-folding-caravan-/281775208690?hash=item419b1c78f2

onto a 130 truck cab ?

Further to that what is the loadbed space behind the cab on a 130 (single cab) , that is without a body on ?

130 single cab rear body diemensions

to top of cab roof -- 1155mm/46 inches [low profille quadtec body]

or 1550mm/61 inches [hi profile quadtec body]

body length external 2450mm or 96 inches

130 single cab rear body diemensions

to top of cab roof -- 1155mm/46 inches [low profille quadtec body]

or 1550mm/61 inches [hi profile quadtec body]

body length external 2450mm or 96 inches

So if the quadtech body goes level with the rear crossmember there would be about 2 to 3 foot overhang ! might be why no one has ?

bit more detailed research needed then :) but at a third the price of an Azalai is attractive

quadtec 4 hi profile over hangs rear crossmember, but not by very much

some photo's here http://www.tcsgroup.co/used-cars/land-rover-defender-130-2-4-tdi-2dr-oldham-201502030659160

seems Roger Young LR in Saltash now have the rights to the Quadtech body system

http://www.rogeryoung.co.uk/engineering/quad-tech-bodies/

rear cross member just visible in attached photo.

post-20-0-18443200-1440267199_thumb.jpg

Ehm....

"at a third the price of an Azalai is attractive"

Can you point me towards an Azalai body under 5k ?

They are GOLD here in France...

Like your idea with the fold up caravan !!

Hi Tacr2man

It looks like you had the same thought at the same time as me. We’re just back from a family trip with a rooftent, where we’d been gazing at other peoples’ motorhomes and thinking whether such convenience could ever be engineered onto a Defender chassis.

This would provide the mobility of the Defender, with the convenience and security of a self-contained motorhome, but without the uber-naffness of most motorhomes.

A bit of poking around the web found only the Azalai, distributed in the UK by OEC International which went into liquidation in 2014. A few old threads say it was very expensive but no one actually states a price.

The original French company appears still to be going – I sent them an email today to ask for details. Arjan – you say they’re like gold in France: is that on the used market, or can you still order new?

From the very little web info available, the Azalai kit does look good. The perfect solution would be to buy a kit of parts to do the conversion yourself.

It looks to me that only the main body moulding and a few internal fittings are totally bespoke. Surely kit like a shower/WC cubicle, cooker tops, cupboards, waste water tanks, sofa/bed/table fittings would be available from caravan parts suppliers, or better, via buying a damaged caravan.

Anything technical like split-charge systems, lighting, solar power chargers, compressors, fresh water tanks, water pumps etc are all bog-standard kit as fitted to ‘normal’ expedition Land Rovers.

I can’t see it would be such a big deal to do a conversion, if one could buy the lightweight, insulated body shell. The Quadtech mentioned above looks like just a rear box, without the over-cab section which provides such a perfect space for a double bed, especially if the whole roof can be raised.

I wonder if anyone has ever thought of offering this? I’d love to do a conversion on a 130 doublecab chassis.

It would make a brilliant vehicle for those who, like me, are a getting a bit tired of hardcore camping, but are not yet willing to absolutely prove I’m an old git by buying a motorhome.

Ideas, anyone?