Insurance agreed valuation - how to work it out

snailracer

Its that time of year again and I'm concerned that my agreed valuation isn't high enough.

Whats the best way to go about working it out and then proving it to an insurance company?

Is it just a case of trawling for sale adverts and getting an average figure?

I know there are valuation companies but I'd rather not spend any money....

Cheers

Matt

plus one

I am insured with Admiral as I have a multicar policy. This now extends to classic cars as well. They just asked for 8 photos and my opinion of what it is worth.

3 days later I have a certificate agreeing the valuation for 2 years

The agreed value will increase your premium proportionately. As long as your valuation isn't ridiculous, they won't care - they are getting their money. As above, they usually ask for 8 photos - one of each side, one front and rear, one of the engine bay, and of the interior. Many have limited mileage, with additional premiums for increasing the mileage limit.

I spoke to my insurance about raising th evalue for my vehicle. I was asked why the change and I replied that it was market value (Series 1), next thing I know i revive the agreed value form asking for pics and if not proviided the car will be at market value.

Called them and asked why agreed value? I had already said it was market value driven.

• 4 weeks later...

I have three vehicles on the same policy (only one a Land Rover) and all historic vehicles. I phoned them up and just kept increasing the values (very co-operative guy on the other end) until the premium started to go up a lot and then reduced them a bit.

The real question is how do you personally value the vehicle? If it is a second (in my case 5th) vehicle, then you can probably get by without a replacement for a while, so enough money to buy the next project should be enough.

My motto is that you don't need to insure something that you can either do without, or afford to replace, so save yourself a lot of annual outgoings. You need road legal insurance, of course.