ARB Question ........... and Hi by the way

CrewCab

Hi all

I'm Dave, I live in West Yorkshire and drive a 110 DoubleCab, been lurking on the sidelines for a while so thought I'd pop in and say Hi.

I was one of the marshal's at the Kirton Lindsey round of the Scorpion Challenge (with the NCGL lot) and can I say what a cracking weekend it was, will certainly be doing some more next year.

I also managed top break all 4 half shafts that weekend (quite unintentionally :rolleyes: ) and thanks to all for the loan of various tools etc. Didn't manage to fix it so ended up walking most of Sunday ......... Talk about kna**erd, Kirton's a large site ain't it.

Anyway ................. so far ............. replaced all halfsahfts ............ seemed OK but steering quickly became stiff and clunking noise from front, suspected CV's so stripped front end down but they appear fine ......... but it seems the front arb is "locked" and won't disengage.

Any thoughts welcome, I've disconnected the air pipe etc and suspect diff out is next job ............ any thoughts would be welcome mind.

TA for any input.

Dave

I think you have what I had a while back

The plastic cage has broken inside, they age harden and then fall apart :huh:

You probably find that all, and its about £14

Good to also replace the side gear thrusr washers whilst in there

Dave at Ashcroft or D4x4 will stock the parts.

Its A PITFA rather than £££££

Dave was talking on this forum abiout having steel cgaes made up :) worth a call ?

Nige

On preventitive maintenance for the ARB, does anybody else have the bolts (indicated as No.11 above) come loose?

The retaining clips (No.12) seem poor, Ive used loctite and the clips this time to see if it stops.

Its only happened on the front one. and in different axle cases and CV setups.

Oh and hello Crewcab, welcome.

Cheers :D

Will take diff out Sunday ............. that's the plan anyway .......... unless Mrs CC deems otherwise :blink: ..... will report back when I know more.

Thanks for the input guys.

Dave

Hi CC, my money's on you finding a nicely smashed cage.

Oh, and welcome, BTW :)

Well, diff is out and sat on the drive, are they relatively straightforward to strip down, I'm generally OK with the spanners but this is one job I've not tackled before, any special requirements for putting it back together, pre-load etc?

Thanks for the exploded diagram by the way, that should mean I know which bit of the jig saw goes where anyway.

CC

post-985-1163945271_thumb.jpg

ouch - -my one did that too... it was easy/cheaper to get another ARB than rebuild my one - everything was damaged/knackered. just so you know a new cap (where the O ring bit seals, was £100 + vat and took 2 months to turn up, don't forget the seal aswell - another 15 quid, thats if you can use the one already in there - its really thin so you may not notice its there at all.

The only reason my one died is because all the bolts undid them selfs and it fell apart - -joy.. oh joy I thought. but it did explain the noises I was having for a few weeks. :D

Well guys, the plastic cage is broken ...................

Unfortunately so are most of the other bits ARB supply :o

Thanks for all the help anyway everybody, looks like some more overtime required :rolleyes:

Dave

post-985-1164044697_thumb.jpg

post-985-1164044712_thumb.jpg

ouch - -my one did that too... it was easy/cheaper to get another ARB than rebuild my one

Gathered that's the case so it's bite bullet time and either stick a standard diff in or replace the arb ............. :rolleyes: ........... OK arb wins .............. I just might be wearing the old one somewhere in mi' anatomy when the Mrs realises mind

Think I've caused a lot of the problem by driving it since it was damaged, unintentional though, thought it was fit and well ................. hindsight's great ain't it .......... it's probably only done about a 100 miles since the new half shafts went in but it was getting worse, I did really think it was the CV's but, not so .......... teach me to be more thorough in future I 'spose

Replacement on way ............. do you think I should keep the bubble wrap on it B)

Dave

Gathered that's the case so it's bite bullet time and either stick a standard diff in or replace the arb ............. :rolleyes: ........... OK arb wins .............. I just might be wearing the old one somewhere in mi' anatomy when the Mrs realises mind

Think I've caused a lot of the problem by driving it since it was damaged, unintentional though, thought it was fit and well ................. hindsight's great ain't it .......... it's probably only done about a 100 miles since the new half shafts went in but it was getting worse, I did really think it was the CV's but, not so .......... teach me to be more thorough in future I 'spose

Replacement on way ............. do you think I should keep the bubble wrap on it B)

Dave

Dave, what shafts / CVs are you running?

check them by all means but to be honest.. all the diff was doing was rubbing its cogs together and killing itself - hence the clicking etc.. so not really much happening to the shafts. my shafts were absolutely fine and they too are standard. The diff casing however a little worse for ware from where the bolts had undone themselves and rubbed for so long.

they should be pretty much fit and forget, however it doesn't all ways work like that. as we have both found out - the hard way. it may depend on how much usage it has, Will doesn't have the problem because the truck doesn't get used... HAHAHAHAHAHA :D:lol: couldn't resist after all the other comments I have read about him. :D:D

Before you replace them give them a good inspection; if they've been driven on the road with the diff jammed locked they may have been damaged. Standard shafts, in particular, aren't very strong.

Well I'd already got a new pair of CV's so they'll be going in anyway, I've had a look at the half shafts and they seem fine from a visual inspection, I'll give them another good going over though. Glad it's not the back one's mind, fronts were about £30 each, rears were 5 x that :blink:

Looks like it'll be a few days before I can get to it but I'll let you know how things progress ........... or not B)

Dave

Will doesn't have the problem because the truck doesn't get used... HAHAHAHAHAHA :D:lol: couldn't resist after all the other comments I have read about him. :D:D

Thanks Ade :wub:

Oh, few ARBs are fit and forget. I've had them for 3 years and never had an issue with the rear one; the front one had to have new seals under warrentee (spat EP90 out of the solinoid exhaust from new) and then a seal went again about 6 months ago.