Ashcroft arb and compressor tank

Ok so I am thinking of fitting one of these to the rear of my 90. Now I know this will have been done to death I am still deciding on whether to just use the arb compressor and be done with it or go for a bigger tank and more on board air. My only concern being.....is it not dangerous to be mounting an air tank to the outside of the vehicle ie I have seen a few people mention near rear wheels....under driver doors ect. Any opinions on this? Cheers

My ARB twin cylinder compressor is mounted below the driver's seat in my Disco. As for an air tank/reservoir if your chassis is in good order you can tap into the circular chassis member below the rear of the car, generally the welding around it is good and in my experience to date it forms an airtight tube.

Run a 3/8" line from the compressor to a "T" connection, one branch goes to the plug-in hose connection and the other branch line run it to the reservoir. Use "push-on" connectors, they are simple to use with the nylon pipes that are supplied with them. My tyre hose plug-in connection is mounted on the plastic side face below the seat along side of the compressor "On/Off" switch

The chassis tube is only about 1/4" thick so you will need to weld a 3/8" socket onto the side of it for your single pipe supply connection - (it's not thick enough to tap it and the supply connection is best on the front face of the "tank" to keep the supply hose well up and out of possible harms way) - and weld a 1/4" NPT socket at the opposite end on the bottom of the tank for a condensation drain plug. These are easily obtained from most pneumatic suppliers, they have a spring loaded poppet valve and a "key ring" to pull open the valve to allow the condensation to be blown out under air pressure.

If you use this chassis member as an air reservoir however don't have your compressor go above 100 psi ! It is NOT a certified pressure vessel.

Would a viair 10000 set up be a good setup to go for as a mate has one going cheap. I'm guessing it would be fine for air lockers but is it too small for the possibility of pumping tyres? I know it says that's not what it was intended for but just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing it.