Standard Filament Bulb set and Allowances for Spots / Work Lights?

Hi All,

Working on a project that will use defender style lights. While the build will most likely use LED I'd like to size the loom for the worst case currents which I believe is the standard filament bulbs. I'll get the kit of lights early next year but wanted to get a head start on things.

This is the list I've got from one bulb company but lost faith when I spotted a H4 listed as an interior bulb! :-D

H4 472 Head light 60W/55W
H3 453 Front Fog 55W
R5W Front Side Light 5W
P21/5W 380 Stop/Tail 21W/5W
P21W 382 Rear Fog 21W
P21W 382 Reverse 21W
P21W 382 Front Indicator 21W
P21W 382 Rear Indicator 21W
T4W 233 Number Plate Light 1W

Are there two side lights at the front (head light bowl and seperate) or just the ones in the seperate units?

I'm guessing about head light level currents for work lights and spots but should be able to confirm that in some accessory catalogues.

Thanks.

Number plate light will be 5 or 10w at least, there are no sidelights in the standard headlight just the halogen h4 bulb. As for work lights and spots, use the formula below to work out the current. "Standard" spotlights tend to be 55w but you can get up to 160w bulbs.

Divide your power(W) by 12 (voltage) to give your current (A). Have a look at the later (300tdi/td5) factory wiring diagrams and they'll give you the CSA in mm2 of the appropriate circuits. If your increasing load above the standard ratings then increase the gauge of the wire accordingly

For headlights relay the lights as close to lamps as possible and use a supply wire that is at least twice the minimum required will ensure very little voltage drop which is the major with regard to light performance. Similar advice re any other high current lighting. Less critical on things like side lights etc. HTSH