Immobilizer problem

Ozzy50

Help !I have a 97 R 300 auto that's not playing ball !. I have put a new battery in the key fob and still no joy ,I can't see any burnt out bits in the fob ,any ideas ?,anyone know how to remove the immobilizer from the system ?its only a 1400 quid motor so don't think security is really an issue anymore .

Cheers in advance ,James .

Thanks ,will have a look .

James

Don't bother, 300 tdi autos with EDC don't have a 'spider' immobiliser... So you wouldn't find one after dismantling your dash board.

Is appears this is something that some don't know about when posting.

Also perhaps a bit more information on what's happening other than "not playing ball" will help in resolving your issue.

Assuming your car is UK spec it will reply on a coded link between the engine ecu and the alarm ecu. This is code is learnt by using Testbook,not sure what other diagnostic kit can do this.

This is not to be confused with inputing the EKA code via the drivers door. Its a few years since I have done this,but from memory if the code is not set the engine will crank but not fire.Completely different to any of the manual trans versions.

Thanks for all the replies,been offline cos of the weather and not seen them all until now ,had a very good auto locksmith out this morning and it was simply the alarm fob which was his instant response when I rang him yesterday ,it was sending a signal but very weak ,one new fob coded in and sorted ,if anyone requires his services around my area just ask and I will pass on his details ,again thanks for the replies .

James

Just remembered ,although the motor is on a 97 R it is actually a 96 model according to the locksmith .Good old landrover !

No difference between 1996MY 1997MY other than the introduction of the XS in 1995 when the 1996MY was introduced and Tdi auto's got their EDC power increased.

For the model codes 96MY has a N on the VIN plate 97MY has a P.

1996 my is TA before the last 6, 1997 my is VA before the last 6.

1996 my is TA before the last 6, 1997 my is VA before the last 6.

Ok but the point is that TA VA is not the model year or variant code, it's the build code. My disco is V=1997 and A=Solihull.

My model year or variant is P=1997... So lucky me I can tell my disco wasn't standing in a field for a year before I bought it, as many cars were back then.

Hope that's clearer to understand know.

Ok but the point is that TA VA is not the model year or variant code, it's the build code. My disco is V=1997 and A=Solihull.

My model year or variant is P=1997... So lucky me I can tell my disco wasn't standing in a field for a year before I bought it, as many cars were back then.

Hope that's clearer to understand know.

Yup, did before...

http://www.dingocroft.co.uk/acatalog/vin_numbers.htm

In all these build code explanations I have seen the engine marker is a letter. But our Discovery has a figure 7 instead of a letter. I assume this is because it is a TDI auto with EDC, but I have never seen this confirmed. It does have the 3 for the autobox as well. It also carries a Special Vehicles build plate, but I don't know if this is significant in this connection.