300TDI intercooler Alternatives

Morning all

ive been looking at intercoolers for a while now as i would like on that works better than the standard but dont like he price of allisports uprated ones, i was wondering if anyone with some knowledge could help,

i am thinking of using an intercooler from a Volvo D5 engine as it is a good sizze and shape to easily fit in my truck and i think will be good enough for the engine (this is the bit i would like advice on)

the 300 is a 2.5t D pulling 110BHP ish

the D5 is a 2.4t D pulling upto 230BHP ish,

im going to check the hose connections but think they are similar to a defenders

post-19769-0-16051400-1447668851_thumb.jpg

heres a link to one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-C30-S40-V50-C70-2006-D5-Intercooler-30742631-/281789228023?fits=Model%3AV50&hash=item419bf263f7:g:CqsAAOSwjVVVhxTp

Tom

The D5 intercooler has a reputation for failing early. Google sweedespeed or the t5dt forums for more. Also, and I don't know how relevant, the D5 has a vnt turbo.

It remains a mystery to me why Ford never used the D5 engine in the LR stable - a powerful, reliable compact 5 cylinder diesel.

madness.

G.

I doubt that intercooler is much better than standard in terms of area. Also, you are going to need a lot more pipe to route it to the engine, increasing lag. Plus the fan cowling wasn't really designed for that, so you'd need a fair bit of engineering to gain an improvement.
If you are planning to convert to this or something different, measure intercooler temps before and after the intercooler, before and after the conversion. In my experience, the standard setup with the viscous fan is extremely effective.

Daan

I agree with Daan, the standard intercooler is reasonably efficient and you can always have an upgraded core installed using the existing top & bottom cans. In extreme temperatures I "lock" the viscous fan to permanent drive to improve cooling and airflow over the radiator and intercooler and I've relocated the A/C condenser to the underside of the roof-rack.

I used to have a modified standard intercooler with up rated core, I think it was Brunel, it would only just fit in the radiator frame and required the lips of the frame trimming down. Being a Tig welder myself I decided I would recore a few standard intercoolers myself but to get cores made up to size was very expensive for what was basically an experiment - I think I was quoted £150 per core.

I ended up with two full width allisports and a standard sized one although I did notice the Chinese have started to copy the allisport designs!

I used to have a modified standard intercooler with up rated core, I think it was Brunel, it would only just fit in the radiator frame and required the lips of the frame trimming down. Being a Tig welder myself I decided I would recore a few standard intercoolers myself but to get cores made up to size was very expensive for what was basically an experiment - I think I was quoted £150 per core.

I ended up with two full width allisports and a standard sized one although I did notice the Chinese have started to copy the allisport designs!

I think using the existing endtanks is not neccesarily ideal, because of the wall thickness of the inlet and outlet tubes. The internal area of these is less than the area going through the core, and therefore the entry and exit tubes are your main bottleneck. I did this on mine:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78688&page=1

The whole intercooler thing seems to get a lot of opinions, but few people are aware what the results are. this thread shows you that:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=90347&page=4&hl=%2B300+%2Btdi+%2Bintercooler+%2Bremoval#entry782929

some people think deleting the intercooler is a good thing, others want the slab type in front of the radiator, but I have not seen anyone who actually did a comparison of backpressure, tempdrop and volume between the types. For what its worth, I doubt an alisport or similar standard size intercooler is giving you a great improvement, or at least noone has been able to actually measure what the difference is.

Daan