defender front end - "What should I do?!"

To be fair, chopping the front of the chassis will in theory be a breach of the rules, although the rules are really meant for people who cut a chassis in half and shorten it. That's not what you are doing here. i'd be inclined to forget about iva in this case, as it is such a small mod. If you are worried about it, just loose the dumb irons.

While i like lewis' solution, I found a full width bash plate essential while winching in deep mud. a large plate will lift the vehicle upwards with the angle, rather than beech it completely in the mud.

To be fair, chopping the front of the chassis will in theory be a breach of the rules, although the rules are really meant for people who cut a chassis in half and shorten it. That's not what you are doing here. i'd be inclined to forget about iva in this case, as it is such a small mod. If you are worried about it, just loose the dumb irons.

While i like lewis' solution, I found a full width bash plate essential while winching in deep mud. a large plate will lift the vehicle upwards with the angle, rather than beech it completely in the mud.

Thanks for coming back to me on this one Daan.

I am slowly trimming my way back to the cross member but not past it. Once the ends are finished off properly and the winch mount is complete I believe it could be arguable in the event of an inspection. It does seem that the rules in this area really apply to the alteration of wheelbase. Another website (which typically I now can't find) has listed many of this type of mod without issues until the wheelbase was altered.

As fo r the bash plate. I am going full width with plenty of angle but not maximum height in order to save weight and maximise on the approach angle.

It will come down just below the bottom of the chassis rails. I see this as happy compromise in all areas - thanks to the inputs of those who have commented thus far.

I will add an update of last nights "fondlings" whilst making up the underside bracing/support.

...I thought it worth mentioning that I have toyed with fitting the winch in the engine bay (obviously not the XL) but I can find too many negatives NOT to do it for access and line of sight reasons when competing. I know this doesn't bother some people much as I have seem many completely concealed (which I like) but with our low level of experience I like the idea of being able to see the drum and perform easy maintenance.... There is a bu*ger-tonne of space in there though! (especially when the rad is gone!)

Im not sure if you have ended up keeping the rad in this postion, but your rad is WAAAAY to far forward!!

Im not sure if you have ended up keeping the rad in this postion, but your rad is WAAAAY to far forward!!

NO my rad is in the back. Not sure which rad you are referring to??

It was originally in the standard factory position and still had plenty of space for an 8274 or similar behind without the viscous fan - believe me I checked! However the factory position would have left it vulnerable without additional protection obviously.

• 2 months later...

Time for a little update to show you guys the progress.

As you can tell I haven't had much time to work on this but I feel the progress is good.

Just got finish welding up the bash plate then its ready for drilling the wing bolts to throw it all back together!

Front mount stage 2d

Front mount stage 2c

Front mount stage 2b

Front mount stage 2a

Also I picked up the material to construct the rear mount.

I will hopefully be finding someone to chop and notch 3 bits of tube to make a tubular centre mount too!