loctiting crown wheel bolts

orange rover

had my rear diff at ashcrofts for pinion bearing change. they said that the crown wheel bolts were loose, seems that no loctite was used when the detroit locker was installed. want to loctite the bolts in the front diff now since the true trac was installed by the same person.

what would be the best way so that i don't disturb the diff setting? seems to me that the best way would be to take one bolt out at a time, loctite and then torque down to specified value? would i disturb the setting that way or should it be allright?

cheers

orange

had my rear diff at ashcrofts for pinion bearing change. they said that the crown wheel bolts were loose, seems that no loctite was used when the detroit locker was installed. want to loctite the bolts in the front diff now since the true trac was installed by the same person.

what would be the best way so that i don't disturb the diff setting? seems to me that the best way would be to take one bolt out at a time, loctite and then torque down to specified value? would i disturb the setting that way or should it be allright?

cheers

orange

Orange, if the bolts are loose the diff will need to be setup again anyway. IMHO if you're taking a diff out (especially the front) out its worth changing the bearings (both pinion and carrier) as a matter of course anyway.

When it come to replacing the bolts you want to use new bolts, make sure the thread is totally (very, very important) clear of oil (brake cleaner and cotton wool buds works best IMHO) and then loctite and torque down as in the manual (can't remember the figure off the top of my head). If you're not 100% confident building up the diff give it to a someone who really knows what they're doing. I always get Ashcrofts to do mine as it doesn't cost much and its done faster and better than I could ever do it even though I know how.

brake cleaner and an air gun is the way forward... and then lock it down... you shouldn't need to disassemble it completly unless you feel you have to for what ever reason.

and as for the bearings bit - if it aint broke... unless you reckon there is too much play in the diff I wouldn't bother faffing about with it. If you tighten it too much you'll get an annoying whinning noise and too little it'll slap about and eventually die on you.

cheers

orange

not sure whether the bolts are loose, just trying to prevent them from doing so. diff seems ok, no noise, no play on the pinion bearing. will take the diff out and replace the bolts one by one with new ones + loctite.

cheers

orange

Chris from Exact Fabrication recently fitted an ARB to my front axle, while doing so we noticed that the crown bolts were loose, this on an 18000 miles from new axle. When we were retightening one of the bolts sheared at the head.

Chris noted an old stress fracture. The bolts were fully threaded and thus inferior to the replacements we fitted which had a few mm's uncut.

Cleaned with brake fluid, wire brush and refitted with locktite.

John

Orange, if the bolts are loose the diff will need to be setup again anyway. IMHO if you're taking a diff out (especially the front) out its worth changing the bearings (both pinion and carrier) as a matter of course anyway.

When it come to replacing the bolts you want to use new bolts, make sure the thread is totally (very, very important) clear of oil (brake cleaner and cotton wool buds works best IMHO) and then loctite and torque down as in the manual (can't remember the figure off the top of my head). If you're not 100% confident building up the diff give it to a someone who really knows what they're doing. I always get Ashcrofts to do mine as it doesn't cost much and its done faster and better than I could ever do it even though I know how.

If its just the bolts that have come undone there is no need to re-shim the pinion at all (which is the hard bit). I agree the adjusting rings will need doing when you take the centre out but thats not hard is it?

Equally if you replace the pinion bearings it'll need reshimming I agree, but if the origional bearings are being used, and are in good nick there is no need to reshim. I'd still blue up the teeth and check the pattern anyway as a matter of course, but its not difficult to do if you've got any engineering ability at all.

String, degrease and check the bearings and go from there. They dont need replacing that often if they're been properly lubricated.

Jon

Orange, yep, as Jon said you only need to reset the centre IF the bolts are loose. If the bolts are tight then replacing one by one isn't a problem. However, its still worth checking with blue before you reinstall just to check everything's how it should be.

has this on BOTH my diffs recently. i know they where threadlocked as i did it, still came loose though. lots of brake cleaner to ensure they are clean before doing it seems the way to go. if it happens again to me im going to source the tabwashers off a series to fit, or lockwire them.