Compressor pulse after turning of engine

ronnie_rotten

"Assume" makes an ass out of U and me.

Lift the bonnet and get you wife/GF/mate/neighbour to turn the motor off while you are observing and listening. You should get a clearer idea of where the sound is coming from, it may take a couple of attempts to track it down but it's a far better method that trying to trace it from the drivers seat.

My 'umble guess - I think it's more likely to be a very dry/stuffed electric fan bearing rumbling until the fan blades stop turning. The A/C compressor will cease to rotate the moment the engine stops turning. It could also be the mechanical thermal fan that needs to be replaced.

Just a second thought, it could be steam gurgling up into the header tank, you may have a minute head gasket leak - like a volcano, tiny rumbles of steam are often a warning of worse things to come. If it is, check all aspects of your cooling system first, levels, air locks, circulation, pump, thermostat, coolant leaks etc. etc. etc. BEFORE you resort to replacing the head gasket.

Hmmm. The spund happend maybe 5 sdconds after i got oit of the car and started walkng away. I'm thinking nothing to do with cooling system. Thankfully.

It was the kind of noise a crappy argos electric tyre pump makes so I'm going to stick with my donkey's guess that it was the compressor firing up for some reason.

Will the SLS system still do it's thing after the engine is switched off? Where I parked it isn't pool table flat.

Might this be a sign that there's a slow leak in one of the air springs and the sls is trying to work after hours? Not too uncommon fir the bags to perish i understand?

It's not by any chance the "Disco Fart" caused when the SLS lets out air to level itself.

just a thought,

Griff

I think I'm happy to accept your diagnosis. Not least so I can tell the missus that's what it when she hears it for the first time.

It's definitely coming from underneath and not under the bonnet.

Disco fart. An all too common occurrence among air sprung land rover owners.

Will always do this once all the doors are closed and the engine is off - if it doesn't then you know its a new compressor. There is a factory issue inlet now available to avoid the water ingress issue with he compressor - about 70 quid but worth a punt

Don't forget you will get the centrifugal oil filter spinning for a while after shut down

BUT - one day I got out of mine and I could hear the compressor running continuously. After investigating it turned out the relay points had welded themselves together. A quick swap for the headlight wash relay and all was well.