Screeching noise td5 auto

mudmagnet

While driving, the car developed a screeching noise like a slipping belt noise,but the noise goes away if the car is put in neutral while moving and there is no noise when stationary and reving the engine

The noise is only there in drive and increases with the revs

Any ideas what it could be

While driving, the car developed a screeching noise like a slipping belt noise,but the noise goes away if the car is put in neutral while moving and there is no noise when stationary and reving the engine

The noise is only there in drive and increases with the revs

Any ideas what it could be

Exhaust manifold probably warped and pulled a head stud or two out, take the main engine cover off and see if you can spy any soot around the metal manifold gasket. You get a 'screeching' from the gap when under load. Pull the manifold off, get it machined flat, replace studs and refit with new gasket :)

:angry2: If you take the time and trouble to read your ZF auto service manual the transmission fluid and fluid filter needs to be changed every 30,000 miles, If yours has done 120,000 it's well overdue !

Change the transmission fluid filter and transmission fluid and seeing as at least 6 litres of your ancient fluid will be retained in the torque converter, do yourself, and your gearbox a huge favour and change the fluid AGAIN after 500 miles to flush out as much of the old contaminated fluid as possible.

If you don't have a service manual get a RAVE CD.

While I agree frequent oil changes are a good thing, there is a school of thought that changing the oil on a box that has not had oil changes at proper intervals in the past can do more harm that good. There used to be a piece on the Ashcroft web site about this problem. The oil change can dislodge accumulated muck and cause problems. I suspect if the gearbox has not had an oil change for a very long time it may already be too late.

Does the noise appear when the engine is working harder than usual, say up hill, at a fair road speed, go away or reduce if the throttle is lifted a little, but not be noticeable in normal easy driving?

:angry2: If you take the time and trouble to read your ZF auto service manual the transmission fluid and fluid filter needs to be changed every 30,000 miles, If yours has done 120,000 it's well overdue !

Change the transmission fluid filter and transmission fluid and seeing as at least 6 litres of your ancient fluid will be retained in the torque converter, do yourself, and your gearbox a huge favour and change the fluid AGAIN after 500 miles to flush out as much of the old contaminated fluid as possible.

If you don't have a service manual get a RAVE CD.

I have only had this car for a few months so that's why I have no idea as there were no records with the car

I am working my way through all the service bits and changing all the worn bushes