Dipped and main beam fault

IanT90

Need some advice again, over the last couple of months I have had a reoccurring fault with main and dipped beam. after short journeys of around 5 miles I started to get a buzzing noise from behind the dash and my dipped beam would go off.

switching on and off sometimes sorted it other times a bang on the dashboard.

I know what your thinking faulty light switch common fault, so did I so I ordered a new one. It came yesterday but working shifts didn't get chance to fit it.

Last night just as I got to work lights went off again, but this time wouldn't come back on so had to drive home on my side and parking lights.

First bit of daylight I went out and swapped the light switch over for the new one, with great expectation !

But sadly no still dead.

The buzzing noise has me puzzled, fairly sure Land Rover only fitted relays to later models to get around the switch problem but wondering if there might be a relay behind the dash ? and that's what has failed. had the front facia off recently and didn't see one.

Checked my fuses in the cab they are all okay.

Any clues ?

Regards Ian

Dim/dip relay maybe? Can be bypassed, no legal requirement any longer.

Otherwise a PO may have fitted a relay behind the dash to stop the switch from melting, and you hadn't spotted it. Can't think of anything else in the circuit that could cause a buzzing sound.

Just read about the pink relay and put a link across the 2 and 8 terminals using two spade end connectors as suggested but still no joy.

Still convinced it's that relay somehow, although the bypass should have worked ? reluctant to buy a new one just in case it's okay as cheapest is £11 and i have spent that already on light switch/stalk which wasn't faulty.

Could not see another relay in there unless its buried somewhere, are there any secondary fuses ?

Sorry for late replies been away for couple of days and had to leave Defender at home (went in wife's little car :unsure: this time) lighting still not resolved.

Replaced the main light switch so eliminated that.

Bypassed the relay not joy there either so eliminated that.

As both sides not working don't suspect it's a bulb issue.

That leaves either the indicator stalk which is a bit on the loose side or a wiring fault possibly a dodgy earth ?

The indicator stalks a pain in the arse have to take the wheel off to fully inspect. Wiring is even more of a pain tracing back from lights to ignition.

There is no secondary fuse is there under the bonnet for the lights ?

Regards Ian

The flash works using the indicator stalk so suspect that's okay. Had the off side headlamp off no wiring issues.

Realised that when ignition is off headlamp goes off and reverts to side lights until ignition started again, wonder if that's a clue ?

I dont know the specifics of the landrover stalk, but on my Audi, the main beam "flash" on the stalk is fed from the ignition live, whereas the "latch" is fed from the light switch.

When in the middle position (ie no high beams), the dip beam feed from the switch goes into the indicator stalk, and back out the indicator stalk and off to the dip beams. When you latch the high beam, it diverts the incoming dip beam feed over to the main beam instead.

On the other hand when you flash, it leaves the dip beam connected to dip beam, and connects an ignition live to the high beam.

That means "flash" runs both filaments, but "latch" flips between them.

I would imagine the landrover is similar, its a common design as it enables you to flash when the lights are off, and stops you running both filaments together when you engage high beam (the bulb would probably overheat). As such, it could still be the indicator stalk.

If you were to find the wiring diagram for the stalk, you could bridge the approprite two wires on the connector to prove it without taking it apart.

Its a 300 TDI 90 and just after ordering a new indicator stalk, I discovered some heat damage to the C282 yellow relay in the fuse box.

The pin 30 on the relay itself appears heat damages plastic melted around the pin, the socket also has evidence of heat damage.

Suspect this may be my cause ?

Just a quick update just got my replacement indicator stalk this morning fitted it took me 15 mins and hey presto light issue is resolved.

Just annoyed I had to replace the light switch and didn't need to, but at least I have a spare now just in case.

Thanks for the help and advice much appreciated saved cost of an auto electrician.

Regards Ian