Defender vs Discovery Brake Master Cyls.

ajh

Does anyone know the real difference between the Defender and Discovery master cylinders beyond the deeper rod pocket on the Disco one? I'm using a Disco booster on a Defender and currently have things modified to work well, but a recent failure has me thinking that replacing the Defender master with a Disco one may make sense but I'm unsure if they're different bore/stroke again. 200/300TDI era.

In my experience both the later (common) defender master cylinders and the disco ones are both pretty poorly made they seen to have a limited life span which ends up with the bores of the cylinder getting pitted which leads to then bypassing.

This sounds an interesting idea.

I've often thought of fitting the 110 with a 'double' servo from a ABS equipped Defender, as I'm told they give more boost.

Used servos of this type are frequently found for Discos, but very few Defender ones. I've not sat anything side by side to compare each.

In my old 90 I fitted a complete 300 Tdi pedal, master and servo assembly. That had the later type (non cast) cylinder, and I never had any failures with that.

If corrosion is occurring in the cylinder it would suggest to me that the fluid needs changing more frequently.

never had any failures with the cast type brake master cylinders on my 1989 110, in 20+ years, its not subject to constant road dirt,water like the disc,calipers are. the later master cylinders won't fit the earlier small diameter servo, because the stud location is different.