Radiator problems....

xyra

Hi,

I was just opening up my radiator to fill with antifreeze for the winter, and it didn't like me trying to undo it, and the threaded bit of the radiator came off the the filler plug....

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg

Any ideas what I can do to sort this out or is it time for a new radiator?

Graham

oh right. According to paddock neither have the oil cooler - although on closer inspection they have the same part number (ESR3684) listed for with oil cooler. as well as esr78 is with oil cooler.

I will check it out to see which I need.

Many thanks,

Graham

Thanks guys, i'm going to check out getting it repaired if not i'll think again.

Haven't had chance to get a good look at whether it has an oil cooler or yet yet. (it's currently stuck 70 miles away at my parents house!)

I've phoned a radiator repair place in slough I found on google, and have been quoted £15+vat to get it sorted.

Just got to get around to removing the radiator now. I take it that it is a pretty straightforward job to remove? Not taken it out on this landy before.

Guest diesel_jim

Yes, easy:

1) remove the cowling and maybe the fan (depends on how nimble you are, it would be easier with it out of the way)

2) remove top hose

3) remove bottom hose but stick something (a bowl or bucket) underneath so you can catch some of the water that comes out (you'll never get it all as it splashes on the axles and chassis and goes everywhere!)

4) if you'rs has the oil cooler, undo the top union, then the bottom one, you'll definately want to put something under that one to catch the oil as it makes a right mess!

5) undo the top two mounting brackets, usually 10mm bolts, then lift the rad out.

6) raise your right hand right up in the air, bend at the elbow and pat yourself on the back for a job well done! B)

thanks guys. I was hoping it would be nice and easy. In my lightweight I recall it involved removing the wings - not done that for a few years now. (Needs a new engine, so its sitting in the corner looking sorry for itself)

You can do it yourself if you have or can borrow a gas blowlamp. Use big sticks of solder available from welding places and LOTS of acid flux, applied with an old paint brush. I must say in the workshop we leave those plugs well alone unless we really have to try, as in 90% of the time they break like yours did.