xyz switch

barno

Hi all question about a 2001 TD5. Does the xyz switch stop the car from cranking over? I am currently working away and my wife has just called saying the car won't start. Key in ignition turns but no crank she can hear a click but nothing else. I am just after some ideas for weekend so I can try to get it sorted its had a new alternator and starter in the last 3 months so I am kind of ruling that out.

It can do. What does the indicator on the dash say for gear selection?

The other possibility I would normally look at is the starter motor though if new probably unlikely. The contacts that make the high-current connection inside the solenoid are prone to burning out on Td5s, usually if you flick the key enough times it will start, but it will only get worse. It either needs stripping the starter to fit new contacts, or a new motor.

Or just a flat battery...

It could be a bit out of adjustment but they are a bit of a weakness anyway so even if it now works it wouldn't be a bad idea to plan on replacng it. The usual issue is that the gear selection on the display flashes and doesn't show the lever position, and sometimes this can make the Sport and Manual lights flash. You need to set up the switch when you change it, so make sure you understand that process before you take the old one off. There is a special tool for the job, but I think you can probably do it without, have not tried it personally.

Well its getting a whole lot more confusing now, there are no unusual lights on the dash at all. However somtimes it just wont crank, it is perfectly fine when its cold but if you drive anywhere and then turn off the engine sometimes it wont start. Leave it for 15 mins and its fine. Its as if something stops working when its hot! Confused I am now.

Try cycling through the gears when the fault is present, and see if the dash indication matches the position of the switch. It might not sense the fault to put on any warning lights, but if it thinks that it is in gear when it isn't, it won't start. If that all appears normal then you probably need to look elsewhere.

Yeah the dash indication is correct for the lever position so I think it is something else. I will try to get the codes read this week and see if it flags anything up.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

My gear lever is very slightly out of adjustment so if it's in Park I often have to push it hard forwards so it recognises it. I suppose I should fix it but it's not really an issue. Worth trying, or try it in N instead.

Well its getting a whole lot more confusing now, there are no unusual lights on the dash at all. However somtimes it just wont crank, it is perfectly fine when its cold but if you drive anywhere and then turn off the engine sometimes it wont start. Leave it for 15 mins and its fine. Its as if something stops working when its hot! Confused I am now.

In the under bonnet fuse box is a relay for the starter motor trigger feed (marked on the lid by the letters "SM" in a circle). Often the contacts get dirty and cause exactly the issue you describe. When it does it again, wiggle the relay and see if it works, if so, clean the contacts in the fuse box and consider changing the relay.

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally managed to play around with it over the weekend and managed to make it fail. I checked the starter connections all was good and a feed direct from the starter to the battery fured her up straight away. Checking the relays showed up nothing I swapped one over and still no joy so I am at a loss so half an hour later we now have a backup start button so if it wont start a press of the button gives the starter a feed and away she goes.

Had the same symptoms on a manual Td5 years back and it did turn out to be a spade connector on the starter. I ruled it out a few times before pulling it off and realising that whereas the plastic spade cover was pushed home on the contact, the actual connector inside had worn loose so wasn't pushing home - so intermittent contact.

By the by re XYZ, I found adjusting to be a two man job where one has to keep the lever held hard into P to allow an accurate adjustment. Even still it has worked its way to being slightly out over the course of 18 months.

Hth, George

• 3 years later...

If the xyz switch is not working on a land rover 2 automatic

What will this cause to fail on the jeep 

I have been trying to fix this for years and i will not stop until it is fixed it is such a clean and good going jeep if i could just get this problem fixed

Al advice is very much appreciateed