Converting from early exhaust hangars to TD5 Type

Hi,

I know a few people on here have done this when fitting a TD5 exhaust on a v8 - but has anyone made a list of which bits you need to get?

Is it just the hangars and rubbers, so the bits from:

http://lrcat.com/31/4/53432#31/4/53431

Do the existing hangars just unbolt and the new ones bolt in their place, or do holes need to be drilled? :)

Thanks

Jon

On the Td5 onward 110 there is a small outrigger just forward of the centre silencer box. It's welded to the chassis and the hanger bracket bolts to it. I made up this part and welded it in place. I had a Td5 110 to copy ;)

There's another bracket that bolts to the a-frame cross member and supports the pipe just rear of the centre box.

For the rearmost mount there is a bracket that bolts to the existing mount that's welded to the rear x member

All these use a rubber donut mount to the pipes.

I'll see if I can find some pictures to upload when I'm not on mobile.

Perfect - thanks...

Have just gone on an exhaust spending spree on ebay / paddock and bought some hangars from YRM that looked about right from the LRCat diagram, so hopefully it's not too far out.... :blush:

Perfect - thanks!

I've got a new / take off 110 TD4/TD5 exhaust coming - google suggests that the routing / fitment is the same but the brackets vary slightly, so i think there's going to be an element of making it up as we go along... Hopefully it'll be clear when it's here and we can offer it up underneath :)

I have a large stack of parts now, only thing I'm waiting for is o2 sensor bungs which I stupidly forgot about until this morning, so I can't fit it this weekend :(

Laying it out along the side of the truck though it appears to be a couple of inches too long, somewhere in the midde... It may be because it's laid out on the flat, will try and have a better look over the weekend with it bolted together :)

Centre silencer is massive though - possibly something smaller may need to be put in there to free some of the fruity v8 rumble.... With that tiny back straight through box I'd imagine the TD5 'sports' silencer-less mid pipe is going to be way too loud though...

I used both silencers on my V8 as I wanted it to be quiet, however it still retained the V8 noise which became impressive when above 3000 RPM. I found that previous noisy exhausts were really annoying but understand that various owners have varying noise tolerance levels after a while!!

Toby

Like Toby, I have both cans fitted, and it's certainly subdued/refined, and not remotely V8 like from the driver's seat. Maybe I need to rig up a small microphone by the tail pipe to find out what it sounds like from there.

The original 3.5 factory pipes, are in fact that same system (other than the Y pipe) as the 2.5 diesel. I took them off as I've found in the past they are rather restrictive for a 3.9. They do give a distinct V8 sound without being at all intrusive. It would be good to return to that sound track :)

I've toyed with removing the centre box, as there are after market removal pipes available off the shelf. I suspect though that it'll make things far too raucous. I can't see that removing the rear box will make much of a difference.

I also considered a change of centre box, for something like a Thrush Turbo muffler. I do at least know someone that had one of these fitted to a challenge 90, and that wasn't especially obnoxious...

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you that have done this and fitted a RRC / Disco gearbox crossmember - what modifications are actually needed? Offering it up it looks like the plate sizes are the same, the top hole spacing is similar, but the bottom holes are narrower than the 110 standard one. Is it a case of drilling some new holes on the lip at the bottom of the chassis that it mounts to, or is there more to do that's not obvious without me actually taking the standard one off and comparing the plates side by side? :)

Cheers!

Jon