200tdi head gasket

Its to do with piston protrusion. Its measured on all 4 pistons relative to the block then the greatest amount of protrusion is used to determin which thickness head gasket to get. I don't know how much risk there is of the piston hitting something if you use the wrong gasket. Have you ran the engine yet?

Well, I'm sure someone will know for certain and chip in. I wouldn't start it up untill someone has clarified if you will be okay with the different gasket. I don't know how fine the clearance is - best to play it safe.

Monkie, don't scare people if you don't know the answer.

Eric, the three hole gasket is the most commonly used and is a fraction thicker than the two hole, so you won't break anything. As I said, the compression will be down a tiny bit, but it should have no noticeable effect. Oddly, the thickest gasket has no holes. One hole gaskets are the thinnest and are very rarely used.

Thanks for your responses - I can relax again and sleep soundly - I need my full strength to tighten the head bolts ! I am fitting new ones by the way !

Thanks again - great forum

Please tell me you used the correct initial torque and then the prescribed angle tightening, and that you made sure the bolt holes were free of debris and liquid (coolant and oil) first!

I'm 5'6" weigh 10 stone and am 73 so when I remove the front crank nut I need to use an 8 foot scaffold pole !

btw - when I first did that 20 years ago I had removed the engine first so now always loosen this before lifting the engine - this was before the forum was available to me of course

• Like 2