3 Link Questions, discussion and a brain dump

• 1 year later...

Yes! Inline with previous posts.... copied from my main build thread as this is 3 link related:

I've made some progress! 

I've had a massive tidy up and stuff like my box section/engine stand/garden shredder/spare wheels and tyres/firewood has all been moved into my extra shed, so That has really freed up some space to move around in the workshop which is great. 

IMG_7328.thumb.JPEG.ef23846bcb7774b1e75a45b269387c53.JPEG

So back before the UK was shut up thanks to the dreaded COVID19 I had an afternoon up at the workshop and did the first work on the car itself in a very long time. I had a quiet afternoon at work so I lopped up some M10 studding to test fit the spacers on the axle.

I stripped the track rod and drag link off the axle and put them to one side. Take one rather unwieldly with a bit of help from the chainblock...

IMG_7329.thumb.JPEG.47b96b58fc6c4a0401d72e2f112ed90e.JPEG

Makes me remember why my preference would always be to strip it down to get it off the axle! Even without brake disc, caliper, CV and shaft its a bit of a lump.
IMG_7330.thumb.JPEG.69a9f5da0eba16364f892dcb139bdc7b.JPEG

Some rather shiny, test only, 316 Stainless studs.
IMG_7331.thumb.JPEG.f87487692e21008e963deb396a668300.JPEG

They screwed in (and are a little short, but doesn't matter for this)... and on went the spacer :D 
IMG_7334.thumb.JPEG.e9de0fc533b6a805498cd1073c726686.JPEG

Time to lift the lump back on and flick some nuts on to stop it dropping onto my nuts :lol: 
IMG_7335.thumb.JPEG.e9bd66805f77332eb14a884f19ac72ab.JPEG

At that point I realised that with the angle the front axle can get to.... there wasn't enough room to fit the drivers side one at the moment! The swivel housing (without stub and hub) was only about 15mm off the floor. That would have to wait for another day as dinner was ready!

Not up to date yet... More to come shortly; Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow :) 

Time to lift the chassis up to make some space... The shorter platforms for the axle stands were swapped out for the taller ones... a gain in height of about 4".

IMG_7368.thumb.JPEG.b2eb540a2adff522cebdb527daf98edc.JPEG

What isn't shown is that this meant the back of the chassis was looking a bit stupid as I'd already lifted the front previously and left the back sitting on the wheely pallet. So the rear was lifted up using the the spare jack handle (bit of 25mm bar essentially) left over from the jack saga* poked through the rear recovery eyes.

*They seemed to find it impossible to send me a handle without damage even after sending a second one. So they refunded I think £50 and I had it coated by Procoat.

With that lifted I then had space for the spacer:
IMG_7370.thumb.JPEG.dadbdf7a405b96dcb0b1420c0a7ddf6f.JPEG

This should refresh your memories and show why it would have hit the floor :lol: 
IMG_7371.thumb.JPEG.0df538290c897be4e030335044280041.JPEG

At this point I also test fitted the OM606 N/A trim/cover I bought a while back to get a visual on how I might put a brace between my upper shock mounts.

Standard turbo 606:
IMG_7435.thumb.JPEG.92d5fa1d7a6a0d9b4705b03eb96cd750.JPEG

N/A 606:
IMG_7436.thumb.JPEG.9f475a1e6f0387fbdd12a3b79f0a1f1d.JPEG

Still not up todate... but that's it for tonight.

• Like 2

Nice to see your making progress, I sorta slipped backwards as I’m now in the midst of piecing together some 609 axles. Decided before I finish it and go break all the 24 spline internals, I might as well upgrade to 35 spline... been off the road 10 years now, another isn’t going to hurt.

Also, gives me the option to easily swap the hubs out to 8 on 6.5” using junk yard parts if I can’t purchase 15” tires anymore.

i might need to increase axle width too due to the wider hub/knuckle/inner C over the rover one, will see exactly once I get my used C’s from the US.

Link to axle build thread

Edited by landy_andy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice build. Lots of work going on and lots to think about. 👍

Regarding your housing spacers, what material have you used for them (if aluminium, what series)?

Did you machine a spigot on the axle housing side (like swivel ball has)? You could machine chamfers of appropriate sizes on the matching spigots/recesses to allow for O rings and that would be a help in the LR oil battles and be slightly better for joint strength sans any gasket.

Im doing something similar, but are'nt confident in the 7 bolts so will be welding the spacers in place as well.

oh and dont forget that one of the 7 factory swivel bolts is a dowel bolt that pins the swivel on castor etc.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 10:37 PM, Carloz said:

Looks nice... but... :unsure:

I would prefer that the joints of the lower arms would be located under the axle to make it more stable. Now they are so far backwards that the force in the arms will be enormous while stepping on the brakes: the axle wants to turn with the wheels. This because the upper en lower joints on axle are quite close on one line with the joints on the chassis.. At least it looks like that. :blink:

Getting more and more "concerned" about the positions of the joints on the axle and its force multiplying effect... Seeing those big wheels now, the torque effect on the axle while breaking will be huge! 😶

7 hours ago, Carloz said:

Getting more and more "concerned" about the positions of the joints on the axle and its force multiplying effect... Seeing those big wheels now, the torque effect on the axle while breaking will be huge! 😶

The torque reaction should be ok provided there is plenty of vertical separation between top and bottom links (i believe 1/4 the height of the tyres is recommended?) 

• Like 1

There isn’t really any other option for location of the lower links on the axle without loosing the track rod. There’s plenty of vertical separation of the links, as nick says the the rule of thumb is 1/4 tyre diameter and these are a bit over that if I remember correctly. The other point is that  the radius arm brackets aren’t staying as they are, they’ve got the structural track rod guard between them and they’re also going to be boxed in. I’m not worried about the axle brackets either, as standard they’re dropped over the top of the axle and welded, I’m adding a welded part round the underside so they’re not going anywhere either. So long story short I’m not worried about it :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 5:53 PM, NRS91 said:

The torque reaction should be ok provided there is plenty of vertical separation between top and bottom links (i believe 1/4 the height of the tyres is recommended?) 

I have dealed with this many times before in my job as mechanical engineer: The effect of the vertical separation is getting less and less when the horizontal separation gets bigger and bigger. Facts.

When the rule is 1/4th of tire diameter than it means the joints are straight above eachother. The more they are off in horizontal direction the bigger the vertical separation must be to get the same effect.

When you exaggerate this (always a good way to think these sort of things over), the linkage will collapse on the flex of the poly bushings only.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:10 PM, Carloz said:

I have dealed with this many times before in my job as mechanical engineer: The effect of the vertical separation is getting less and less when the horizontal separation gets bigger and bigger. Facts.

When the rule is 1/4th of tire diameter than it means the joints are straight above eachother. The more they are off in horizontal direction the bigger the vertical separation must be to get the same effect.

When you exaggerate this (always a good way to think these sort of things over), the linkage will collapse on the flex of the poly bushings only.

Have a look back at the model of the overall layout. Even if the Creeper joints had 100% of their diameter you've never collapse it unless you folded a link. If that happens I'll have worse things to worry about :lol:. 

As for the vertical separation, I don't think you loose much, if any, with the way I've got it as I'm still way below the axle centre line. I can see there being an issue if my lower link was as far behind the centre line, but level with the centre line as it would easily flop one way or the other from level. 

14 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Have a look back at the model of the overall layout. Even if the Creeper joints had 100% of their diameter you've never collapse it unless you folded a link. If that happens I'll have worse things to worry about :lol:. 

As for the vertical separation, I don't think you loose much, if any, with the way I've got it as I'm still way below the axle centre line. I can see there being an issue if my lower link was as far behind the centre line, but level with the centre line as it would easily flop one way or the other from level. 

Well, the links look like bomb proof. But I just don't like the force multiplying effect in this setup. I expect the top mount on the axle to fail first. IF something fails of course, because everything looks quite rugged. 🙂

I really like what you are doing! And I like the discussion and brain dump part too! 😄