Low note horn connection

Want to install a low note horn on my '92 110 but the current one only has one connector where as the low notes all have two. Do I need to run an additional wire or get some type of adapter? I saw somewhere it was mentioned that one of the connectors needs to be a ground? Thanks.

one my hi & low note horns, I just made a 'jumper' lead from on horn to the other horn, you can do the same for the earth lead too, with one terminal the horn body will supply the earth path when bolted to the body/mounting plate

i did this last week. just do as Western says. single wire needs to be doubled up, one of the wire to each horn. the remaining connection on the horns is earth. just do a double again and stick it to earth somewhere. i used the bolt that was going to hold the horn in place as the earth. happy tooting :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I had only planned to replace the low note not add a second horn. I assume it will work the same as what you've mentioned, one terminal connected to the power the other connected to the mounting bolt for earth?

Heck, should I add a second horn? Seems to be what most have done.

yep me too. i took the original single pole one off, bought a couple of low/high from the bay for about £10 delivered. one sits in the same place as the original, the other sits on the apposite side.i found that trying to fit both together in the original position was a bit cramped . the original one earths through its body hence one pole. theres no wrong way around on the twin pole ones. if you have some spade connectors you can do the job in a few minutes. i ran a single lead from the drivers side to the passenger side of the grille so it connected with he live. the drivers side is earthed to the grille surround using its own bolts. the passenger side is also grounded through its own bolt. i would suggest buying a matched pair, theyre not expensive and are tuned to work together. ( i also used a black wire so it didnt show through the grille , cable tied to the struts )

what to do with the original. well i'm going to set it up as a lights left on alarm. the next time Mrs D leaves my lights on , it'll scare the hell out of her.

• Like 1

OK so your current single horn has two connections but the replacement horn only has one?

You will need to find out which is the battery feed and which is the earth lead,

The new horn will need a good earth so you can run your earth lead to the fixing bolt.

However!

This will only work if the horn switches the battery feed, if it has a permenant battery lead and a switched earth lead the horn will sound permenantly this way.

Welp, that didn't work. New horn works (tested it on the battery) but wont work when connected and grounded. Tested the voltage of the connector and its only putting out 6-9V. I cant find anything so far that says what voltage the original horn is, apparently not 12V. Or could it be a relay that's gone bad or just not pumping out enough voltage? Interior and fog light work as does the original horn so I'm at a loss.

i think the interior light is on the same circuit as the horn. maybe your interior light is sucking away the power. my one is at 12v -ish and works fine. obviously the original horn worked. just wondering how well it was working. i think there's been issues with the horn stalks. i'm sure there's been horn questions on here before. it's worth trawling the archives, or do as i do, ask the question and wait for someone like western to chip in.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying sooner, was on holiday. Its fixed! Apparently I had a bad ground connection. Once i dropped the bracket in some vinegar and scrubbed up the mounting area it worked like a charm! Thanks everyone for the help. As stephendavies said...happy tooting!

• Like 1