oops.. fire :-(

qwakers

so at my last event i broke both cv joints about 5mins into the day, but that is not what this is about...

in the 2 hours it took me to winch the truck back to the pits, the stop solenoid stopped working. i wasnt surprised, i bought it in the days that i didnt know britpart where carp, infact its lasted 4 years..... i also developed a diesel leak, so when smoke started pouring into the cab and i switched off and got towed the last 100yds i figured when i saw the diesel leak that that was the reason for the smoke.. wrong.

fast forward to today, i popped the bonnet fixed the fuel leak (damaged leak off pipe) and fired it up to see if it was sorted. very shortly after i started getting smoke from the back of the engine, followed very quickly by flames!!!!! i killed the engine flipped the battery cutoff but the fire didn't go out, a quick squirt from the msa required fire extinguisher and it was out.

luckilly there wasnt any damage to anything but the engine loom. the stop solenoid wire had shorted to the battery feed which is why it stopped switching off on the key. i was lucky i reckon, but im gonna need a new wiring loom....

image_zpset05z8tg.jpeg

image_zpsl5smrb1t.jpeg

image_zpswulolpq6.jpeg

yeah i know i got lucky. time to invest in some spiral wrap to wrap the engine loom in, the annoying part is every loom ive modified ive spiral wrapped to keep it protected but i didnt bother with the engine loom because i ran it in the original location... my bad.

A couple of years ago I had smoke coming from under the bonnet. I pulled over, lifted the bonnet (carefully, mindful of flashover) and found the fuel solenoid was melting. I yanked the lead off the solenoid (spade terminal only) and then quickly switched the ignition off. Thankfully, I had no other damage. I can't imagine it's a common fault to have the solenoid burn out internally like that.

Ouch, but could have been worse!

I once wired in a music system on a very temporary basis in a car. On the day I was going to replace the temporary wiring, I went to a local shop to buy a few things and on the way back there was a flash and the car filled up with smoke! The entire front loom was fried! Rewiring involved striping a loom from a scrapper and spending around three days adapting and fitting the loom!

Good luck!

Wires over the bell housing in those pesky brittle black clips known for the wire to fall out eventually run through and short causing all sorts of live shorts to the engine harness

I had the same thing but was traced to faulty wiring that had worn through and shorted causing the other sites to melt and create all sorts of weird things.

Glad you spotted it could have been a lot worse