Bulkhead prep for painting

Just got my bulkhead sand blasted and am ready to seam seal, prime and paint. Should I give it a good clean, maybe with some type of metal prep cleaner? Seems just a bit dusty but other than that looks good. Thanks.

Past the 4 hours for sure but its stored inside away for the elements which helps. I'm looking at a variety of products that clean the surface of dust, grease, etc but like I said just seems dusty so maybe some wipes like Gazzar metioned. I plan on priming it with Rustoleum auto paint or something similar then painting it to match. Looking at companies Paint Man and Paint My Classic that match the color though not sure if they're zink laden or not. I'll check Buzzweld.

Looking at my original post I see I didn't mention this is a brand new bulkhead. The previous owner never had it fitted or modified (which I have for my 200tdi) and had only painted it...horribly I might add. So that's what I had blasted off. Not sure if that makes a difference or not in regards to prep in reference to cleaning it prior to priming.

• Like 1

Shot blasted steel is normally dusty from the blast medium. Don't wipe it with anything as you will be leaving a deposit on the metal (the surface is now like fine sandpaper). Air line or rinse of with something like cellulose thinners which will leave no residual oil.

Les

I wouldn't use seam sealer, as it traps water inside the joints better than keeping it out. I'd paint the panels up, then use a thorough application of thin cavity wax to penetrate between the lapped panels for rust protection.

I used Paintman for my 88 when I repainted her the year before my wedding. She looked good...for about 18 months. Never again, did everything he said to do exactly as he said, waste of time. Next time I'll use Craftmaster, I use their paint on my steam loco's, and I'm very particular about those.

• Like 1