OT Computer problem

Paul Humphreys

I have not come across this one before.

I have a computer that when you open internet explorer it will open another in Task manger, but not show it on the screen. I have looked for programs running the back groung and the like. It seems like spy ware, but I have run Ad-Aware and Symantec AV 10 (dose spyware as well) on it. It works ok in safe mode find, even on the web. I have done a windows repair. I can not run windows update due to the problem. I have closed all non needed programs running the back ground in taskmanger as weel and the problem is still there. My only other thing to try is a clean reinstall of windows :( Anyone got anything else to try before I do?

Paul

Use Firefox instead?

Chris

Good suggestion but probably won't help that there is something so fundamently wrong in the background.

Does this happen no matter who you are logged on as by this I mean if you log on as another user or create another account (I presume we are talking XP here) does it still do it???

BTW If you go down the FireFox route while you are on also ditch MS office and install Open Office for free. Great suite of programs totally free (compatible with MS office files if you really need this) and also not as vulnerable security wise.

Oh and then really go the whole hog and ditch Outlook/Express too and install Thunderbird!!!

You are then only relying on MS for the operating system.....

Good suggestion but probably won't help that there is something so fundamently wrong in the background.

Does this happen no matter who you are logged on as by this I mean if you log on as another user or create another account (I presume we are talking XP here) does it still do it???

BTW If you go down the FireFox route while you are on also ditch MS office and install Open Office for free. Great suite of programs totally free (compatible with MS office files if you really need this) and also not as vulnerable security wise.

Oh and then really go the whole hog and ditch Outlook/Express too and install Thunderbird!!!

You are then only relying on MS for the operating system.....

Yes still dose it on every user (3 users). I have tried everything I know. It dose not happen in safe mode, but windows updates will not run in safe mode.

I have run scanns in safe mode with system restore turned off.

Looks like a clean reinstall :(

Paul

Hi,

I know that it is possable to download the windows updates on another machine and then install them over a network (this proberbly won't fix the problem) but it will over come the windows update bit. This was initally designed for people who have bigger networks (so you don't have to download the same info each time).

This will only be useful for the high prioty updates (and not hardware specific)

Hi,

I know that it is possable to download the windows updates on another machine and then install them over a network (this proberbly won't fix the problem) but it will over come the windows update bit. This was initally designed for people who have bigger networks (so you don't have to download the same info each time).

This will only be useful for the high prioty updates (and not hardware specific)

I can do that, I keep all the updates anyway, but it will not get rid of the problem. Anyway got a stack of cds to back it up on and then its going to get wiped. Problem solved :)

Paul