USB GPS Mouses

Mark

Been looking at the USB GPS Mice things on eBlag, but wondered if anyone was using one?

Up to now I have been using a Compact Flash based GPS in my IPAQ but I want to use a GPS with my laptop, and USB seems like a whole lot easier than trying to get the CF card to work though the PCMCIA slot...

[oooh I just read that back, and there's a lot of acronyms there... smile0273ev.gif ]

So does anyone have any direct experience of these? Are they any good?

Cheers

Mark

Yes and lovely,

SIRF III is mondo lovely, if you are planning on using a USB mouse make sure they are the same type (ie USB 1 or 2) USB 1 mice work with USB2 slots but when using USB2 mice in USB 1 slots we've found they can have the occasional (and f'kn annoying) "rest" if you dont have a USB2 slot then chuck a USB2 pcmcia card and bingo.

stuff to check is warm start and cold start times, spend a few quid extra on the lowest times you can afford

Mark - Get yourself a Bluetooth one. I got the TomTom bluetooth thingie which works with laptop, PDA. TtFF less than 30 secs everytime, and alot quicker when 'warm'.

Edited to say I just checked the spec of your LapTop.... :rolleyes:

Get yourself a new one with BT! :P

i had to buy a new gps mouse (blue tooth ) for my PDA , as i lost my original out of my window when laning :(

cant remember the make , but it has a 20 hr batt life and is small enougth to fit in my sunvisor(in the car) and still allow the sunvisor to close , works well , as long as it has ''line of sight'' allways connects to 8 + sats , and only cost around £30 :)

Edited to say I just checked the spec of your LapTop.... :rolleyes:

Get yourself a new one with BT! :P

Would love to Graham, but after 3 and a half years, I think they might get upset if I walk back in and ask for a new laptop! :huh::P

I would recomend the sirf iii recivers as hav had one in the 110 for ages and it has never lost it ssignal. i personaly would stear clear of the bluetooth ones as having to remember to charge the battery is never my strong point.

i also have not had any probles running the gps on usb 1 or 2 but i could be locky.

i also use a small program call xport which will allow you to run mor than one gps app at once.

Edd

I use a bluetooth unit. no problems. It can be charging whilst being used.

I like that i can put the mouse in the best location for reception, but no wires traling around.

Sirf III is a must - far better & quicker lock, but main advantage is way way better performance in built up & forested areas.

I got a £35 quid jobby off ebay. Got a nokia phone battery in so when my phone goes flat just nick it out of there! Bluetooth is the way forward for GPS's. Works with my Ipaq hx4700 really well. Just get a PCMCIA or USB Bluetooth dongle, but just make sure it is under 500mA, or you'll need to use 2 usb ports.