Starting prob continues ....really at my whits end

OK guys it continues (200tdi 1990 converted from a TD)

I turn the ignition key and most of the time she will start on the odd occasion I will turn it and get full electrics BUT not even a click there is just nothing in the way of starting ........Rapid turn the key on and off some times it can be 3 turns another time 50-60 turn but eventually she kicks in and starts ......I can turn it off and it will instantly start again.

OK so far on the try to fix it list

A new battery

Tried two new brand new starters no difference in fact one kept spinning and wouldn't disengage (so put the old one back on)

Extra new earth strap

New Starter relay

New ignition switch

Check and cleaned all my terminals

Has any one ANY ideas at all ????????????????       I'm now drawn towards the cobra imbobalizer and alarm (But It still does it even if the alarm hasn't been touched/used like when filling up at a petrol station get back in and nothing)

LOVE THE SITE NEW FRONT/LAY OUT looks well modern up to date

i have the cobra immobiliser on my truck. a few weeks ago i had a similar issue. in the end i used a spare fob , which worked. i took the failed fob apart and to see whats inside. to be honest there want much to see. i had a fiddle with the switch end and internal spring and it started to work again. i ended up using the previously failed one and took the spare with me , just in case. so far so good. to this end i thought i might investigate how it was fitted. its pretty hard to trace the system but what i did find was only the ignition to the starter motor had been cut in to and the fuel stop solenoid. as its a very basic motor i can imaging theres not much else to cut off. you could find the black control box ( mine was hidden behind the clocks ) and pull it out. you can trace the momentary ignition feed on the back of the barrel and send a new wire to the starter solenoid. also send a live feed to the fuel stop solenoid via the ignition on, barrel. i may trace the wires 1st and bypass. then once sure the truck runs without using the immobiliser fob. cut the cobra wires. i might be lucky...................

I have had intermittent starting issues on my retrofit 300 for 4 years since I fitted it. Been down the new starter, new battery, new ignition switch route, new earth strap route. Never solved it. Starter often sluggish, sometimes the solenoid would click but not engage, sometimes completely dead. But leave it 2 minutes and try again and it would probably start fine. Only once in 4 years did it ever fail to start after I left the CB on for 24 hours. Finally a few weeks ago I decided to do something about it. After talking to a mate who is an auto electrician, I did a drop test on the + & - cables to the starter. Both were about 1.5 V, so 3 Volt drop in total. Anything over 1 is considered too much. Anyway, I spent £40 on 3 metres each of some quality 40 mm2 copper cable and ran new + & - cables direct from the battery to the starter/starter housing. Drop test on new cables came in a 0.5V combined. 

And the result? 

Now perfect. Never started so easily in 4 years, not had a single issue in 4 weeks. I am guessing the old cables were breaking down or had dry joints which caused resistance and the associated voltage drop. 

So I would definitely do a drop test. Really simple. Plenty of instructions online

On 11 September 2016 at 8:00 PM, stephencdavies said:

...send a new wire to the starter solenoid. also send a live feed to the fuel stop solenoid via the ignition on, barrel.

I hope I haven't misread something in the thread but isn't this what you have to do?

So use a +12v feed to the stop solenoid and then "touch" +12v to the starter solenoid to turn over the engine? If the starter spins briskly and the solenoid opens to allow fuel then there can't be anything else electrical that will prevent starting.

• Like 1