L322 2011/12 buying advice

stuckinthemud

Considering a 2011/12 L322 (TDV8 4.4) and looking for any buying advice.

What specifics should I be looking for?

Are there any specific problems that I'm likely to encounter in the next 10 years?

No stranger to Land Rover vehicles, currently on my third Disco (original and two D2's) so well aware of their "quirks!", but not had a RR before.

Edited by stuckinthemud

I started a thread about buying "modern" LR vehicles which has some info:

A few people that have L322's have posted on there.. The other big source of info is fullfatrr.com - there's some buying guides with things to check on there :)

Edited by =jon=

The spec you chose makes a big difference

vogue is the most basic

vogue SE is a big jump up (air cooled seats, adaptive headlights, adaptive cruise, rear screens)

Autobiography is the top spec and is often better specced than a Vogue SE but there seem to be some strange combinations out there which don't have all the options an SE has

Westminister has different seats to an SE/Autobiography but are still air cooled, they don't come with the adaptive headlights, but do come with adaptive cruise

In general the 4.4 TDV8 does not seem to have any common problems other than the frequently discussed oil drain modification re the second turbo. If the mod has not been done and you don't get over 2.5k revs (you won't unless you boot it) then you can get a build up of oil at the second turbo, when you do boot it that one day it will smoke and probably throw up some codes. No lasting damage though

Common solution is to put it in tiptronic mode on the paddles every month and hold it at 3k revs at say 70 mph in 5th (8speed box) for a short while

other than that no problems specific to the engine. Other problems such as rusty tailgates/rear wheel arches are common from 2012 to 2013

43 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

In general the 4.4 TDV8 does not seem to have any common problems other than the frequently discussed oil drain modification re the second turbo.

Thanks, hadn't found anything about this (but also good that you confirm there are few issues with the 4.4).

Is the oil drain mod a recall, or something I or an independent can do?

is a big job by the sound of it (more info on the fullfat site) it was not a recall but I think some were done under warranty

My old man has a 4.4 and giving it the beans once a month seems to work fine. The first time he did it there was some smoke from the exhaust and it pinged a warning on the dash, but not been a problem since.

I suspect that most have not had the work done

Don't rely on a cheapo warranty company to look after you,just a for instance - the starter motors are not that reliable,the warranty companies are aware and will only pay out to replace with poorer quality aftermarket units which last an even shorter period of time...

On 11/15/2016 at 5:00 PM, L19MUD said:

The spec you chose makes a big difference

vogue is the most basic

vogue SE is a big jump up (air cooled seats, adaptive headlights, adaptive cruise, rear screens)

Autobiography is the top spec and is often better specced than a Vogue SE but there seem to be some strange combinations out there which don't have all the options an SE has

Westminister has different seats to an SE/Autobiography but are still air cooled, they don't come with the adaptive headlights, but do come with adaptive cruise

From what I've seen it's not uncommon to see an Autobiography specced lower than a Vogue SE. The Vogue SE was pretty much all options ticked whereas an Autobiography was just that - the buyer got to pick everything. Later on things got even more complicated...