Lidl jump start powerpack

reb78

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Well... some Lidl stuff is OK, but most of it is junk, pick wisely :)

Five or six years ago I would have said exactly the same thing, but they've really pulled their socks up in the last few years. I have a socket/spanner set that I paid £70 for from them and it's easily £150 if you bought it elsewhere. Their angle grinders are years old and still going strong. I have other tools from them that are very good. It almost hurts me to say all of this btw!!!

I had a look at the battery pack at the weekend -  box says it can only start diesels up to 1.6 litre so gave it a swerve.  Strangely Aldi are selling an energiser battery pack which is 500mah lower output but the box says it will start a 2.0 diesel..

21 hours ago, Eightpot said:

I had a look at the battery pack at the weekend -  box says it can only start diesels up to 1.6 litre so gave it a swerve.  Strangely Aldi are selling an energiser battery pack which is 500mah lower output but the box says it will start a 2.0 diesel..

Capacity is not the main factor in the size of engine it can start but the current it is capable of generating (the limiting factor is probably the amount of heat the battery can safely dissipate without exploding).
8000mAh vs 7500mAh is a minor difference when 8000mAh is 8Amps for 1 hour or 480Amps for a minute
But is does not state at what voltage this capacity is?
My guess the capacity is actually for 6V and the pack contains 2 x 6V 4000mAh battery packs which are connected in parallel for USB supply (regulated down to 5V)
And then connected in series to give you 12V for car starting

Lidl state 200A @ 12V is the current which is the Engine size limit

I did look at bigger Li-Ion for car starting and for off grid USB power BUT they were too big a capacity (contained too much Lithium) to be taken on an airplane which made them less useful.