300Tdi engine cradle

Troll Hunter

I'm about to start a total tear down and rebuild of my 110 CSW.  Since I'll be working in a relatively constricted area I anticipate needing to move components around to allow access to other bits.  Please, does anybody have plans/dimensions/suggestions for being able to move the 300Tdi engine with/without the transmission, or just the engine, g'box and t'box separately around my shop, which has a good concrete floor?  I'm thinking in terms of a dolly(s) with swivel castors, rather than the full engine stand, but I'm open to all suggestions.  Many thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

I'm also posting this on the Defender Forum, so I'll be looking for responses on both.

Mods:  I hope this is OK.

Mike

Edited by Troll Hunter
Additional comment

I found an abandoned fairly heavy duty shopping trolley, chopped the basket and handles off it, welded on an upright, a couple of braces on the base and a swivelling cross piece that bolts to the bell housing holes. I used it for holding Rover V8 engines and it worked really well. The upright tended to develop a bit of a sag by the time the engine is approaching fully assembled so I'd add some stiffer material in the next version. Shopping trolley wheels are really good quality and the basic frame is usually very strong.. 

Obviously, this was my attempt at Billy-Bodge-It Solutions, no design calcs were completed and the end product is not certified or NDT inspected. It works for me. :)

I have in the past used a board designed to lay on to be able to roll under a vehicle to work on it (not sure of the correct name) to move gearboxes and other heavy things about, not sure they would be to good for moving an engine as it would be at serious risk of falling over but it might be possible to strap it down. They generally have quite small wheels so not great for bumpy floors.

You can get cheap ones quite easily and they are designed to carry the weight of a person so should be up to the job.

I was going to suggest a pallet with wheels screwed on. Keep an eye out for smaller pallets if space is tight.

I've got one of the steel trolleys that fits big plastic bakers stackable trays, which is just a rectangle of angle iron with 4 castors. I then made a wooden insert for it. Its really useful for wheeling bits of car about on.