Reluctant Brake Caliper bolt

Niamh

Got the front calipers off and replaced no problem.

The rear right caliper came off with a bit of "naughty" effort wiht an 1/2" air wrench.

But can I get the top bolt on the left rear caliper to undo? Can I buggery!

Can't get a decent approch with the air wrench as there's the spring and the exhaust in the way.

So any tips to get this bolt out?

Niamh

They're fitted using a blue thread-locking-compound at the factory.

Heat the head until it's red-hot with a gas-axe.

The heat will conduct down the bolt and soften the locking compound.

Hit it *really hard* square-on with a drift and a lump-hammer to break the lock.

Then heat it until it's red-hot again and then use a proper 12-point socket on it.

If it gets bad cut the head off with a slitting disc on the grinder and drill it out, I remove the hub usually and drill it from the outside in, less metal and a lot more room ;) often drilling it out to 6.5mm and walloping a 7mm coach bolt in works, failing that be sure you drill it central an square as big bits carve more meat! Dont want to mutilate a thread if you can help it.

They're fitted using a blue thread-locking-compound at the factory. Heat the head until it's red-hot with a gas-axe. The heat will conduct down the bolt and soften the locking compound. Hit it *really hard* square-on with a drift and a lump-hammer to break the lock. Then heat it until it's red-hot again and then use a proper 12-point socket on it.

"Gas-axe", I'm guessing you don't mean an ordinary propane blowtorch? Which I'm a bit reluctant to use given the broad spread of heat and the fact that there's a rubber oil seal not to far away on the hub.

The rear spring is right in the way of doing anything "square on"

Niamh

If it gets bad cut the head off with a slitting disc on the grinder and drill it out,

The body of the caliper gets in the way of a neat square cut though

I remove the hub usually and drill it from the outside in, less metal and a lot more room ;) often drilling it out to 6.5mm and walloping a 7mm coach bolt in works, failing that be sure you drill it central an square as big bits carve more meat! Dont want to mutilate a thread if you can help it.

And even when the head's cut off one cant remove the capiper because of the hub, which can't be removed until the caliper's off.

Niamh

I've had to resort to miging a bolt to the head which allows a better connection and the heat tends to loosen them anyway.

That's scary territory!

Last time I did any welding on a Disco I wrote it off- The centre console by the handbrake caught fire, I was welding the nearside front wheel arch at the time!

Niamh

That's scary territory!

Last time I did any welding on a Disco I wrote it off- The centre console by the handbrake caught fire, I was welding the nearside front wheel arch at the time!

Niamh

Well if you're not confident with any of the techniques it's easy don't do it.

You shouldn't have any trouble though, good earth clamp connection close to what your welding, clean what your welding, think about where the current will flow ( don't clip to the body and weld on the axle ) it's sensible to remove the battery earth, think about the fuel tank and lines etc...

The calliper will get a bit hot if you aren't careful so think about the rubber components...

But as I said, not confident, don't do it.

Been a while since I did one, but if I remember right I disconnected the shock absorber and with the increased drop I was able to get straight onto the bolt head with an extension through the spring coil. You can also put a bar on the bolt head and give a good few hard whacks with a hammer. This sometimes helps to undo stubborn bolts. Be careful not to deform the head though as the socket may not go on. The socket has to be a perfect tight fit on the bolt as otherwise it may round off, which then becomes a nightmare.

Les

Treat the 12 points bolts with care, windy guns are usually a bad idea. Wire brush the crud off, use a good quality socket (not one of those universal things). Drop the axle as per Les' advice, then get a breaker bar on the socket and use a jack to apply force to the breaker bar. The force of the jack will be counteracted by the spring force bearing down on the axle and hopefully the bolt will shift. Obviously you need to triple check that the jack is applying the force in the 'leftie loose-y' direction!

Matt

Been a while since I did one, but if I remember right I disconnected the shock absorber and with the increased drop I was able to get straight onto the bolt head with an extension through the spring coil.

I was thinking of jacking the chassis to get the spring to open a bit, currently it's just on axle stands

it may round off, which then becomes a nightmare.

Les

All too true, trying very hard not to get to that stage.

Niamh

I have just refurbished the two rear calipers, and I was lucky with the near side bolts. The hub seal has been leaking oil for a while and all has had a good soaking. They came out easily, which perhaps suggests repeated spraying of the caliper bolts with Plusgas starting several days in advance may help get them out.