20 replies to this topic

#1 Anglo-Frenchman

Anglo-Frenchman

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

Today I went to have a look at a 2002 td5 Disco SX for sale (and with which I am quite smitten I have to say). During the course of the conversation with the French vendor he happened to mention that his local LR dealership had said that the td5 engine was manufactured in Italy. I was quite surprised because I thought/assumed that the BMW 5 pot unit came from the 'Fatherland' - or is it a case of desgined by the Germans and made by the Italians? Could someone perhaps shed some light on this please. Thanks

Ged
"If it ain't broke.........break it". Unofficial motto of the RAF Regt

#2 MJIbex

MJIbex

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

Today I went to have a look at a 2002 td5 Disco SX for sale (and with which I am quite smitten I have to say). During the course of the conversation with the French vendor he happened to mention that his local LR dealership had said that the td5 engine was manufactured in Italy. I was quite surprised because I thought/assumed that the BMW 5 pot unit came from the 'Fatherland' - or is it a case of desgined by the Germans and made by the Italians? Could someone perhaps shed some light on this please. Thanks

Ged

I pretty sure the Td5 is a Land Rover designed/manufactured engine - not sure where its assembled, although I would not have thought Italy. The older VM engines as per classic RR were Italian.

Mark

#3 Anglo-Frenchman

Anglo-Frenchman

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

Thanks. While I'm on the subject does anyone know the approx cost of new front brake discs and how easy to change as compared to say, a Disco Tdi?

Ta,
Ged

#4 western

western

Recovery Man

• Moderators
  • 28,924 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

IIRC the Td5 is a LR design & built at Solihull,.

http://www.landrover...L/Td5engine.htm
Ralph, M3WRM, MSA Recovery Operator -- Western Recovery [Motorsport] http://www.amro.org.uk/
Defender Forum Moderator

Keep LR4x4.com Independent -- you can help by Clicking Here

#5 western

western

Recovery Man

• Moderators
  • 28,924 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

FRont pads are LR number SFP100480 somewhere around 70 in 2002. front brakes are a sliding caliper type like some older UK cars used to have.
Ralph, M3WRM, MSA Recovery Operator -- Western Recovery [Motorsport] http://www.amro.org.uk/
Defender Forum Moderator

Keep LR4x4.com Independent -- you can help by Clicking Here

#6 Ally V8

Ally V8

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

It really pee's me off that everyone assumes the TD5 is a BMW unit,whatever you think of it the TD5 has done well - its a good engine,esp against an autobox.Its Land Rover - even the fuel system is Lucas/Delphi - whatever you want to call it.
On a lighter note I am also really happy how good the TDV8 is compared to the TD6 BMW engine - the BMW engine went OK,but it was always too noisy in the L322 for what it was meant to be and how much it cost.

#7 lynall

lynall

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

Discs and pads are much much easiers to change on the TD5 compared to the TDI, 1 hour max if you go slow!

Lynall

#8 foxminer

foxminer

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

Thanks. While I'm on the subject does anyone know the approx cost of new front brake discs and how easy to change as compared to say, a Disco Tdi?

Ta,
Ged

I don`t know if you want genuine items but this is a good price on e- blag http://cgi.ebay.co.u...7QQcmdZViewItem .

Foxminer.
Discovery TD5 (1999)

#9 Anglo-Frenchman

Anglo-Frenchman

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:08 AM

Thanks to all who have offered advice and info. Thanks Ralph for theat link -very interesting indeed. That price for the discs and pads looks very good indeed even with carriage to France!

Ally: Sorry for the TD5 confusion and no offence meant! I'm sure its a common misconception and I am appalled at my ignorance. Glad to know that its a LR engine at least. Are there any downloadable service manuals for the TD5 unit?

Ged

#10 lynall

lynall

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

Yep, The Green Oval-downloads landrover data all free.

Lynall

#11 Ally V8

Ally V8

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

No, Anglo - its me that should say sorry ! I didnt word my thoughts very well,what I meant was the number of times I have heard sales/service and techs in the LR trade talk about the TD5 engine being a BMW design - they ought to know better! Its no wonder so many people get it wrong.

#12 tacr2man

tacr2man

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

BMW even use a toyota origin diesel in the new mini :P

1986 110 CSW 3.0Tdi6,  1991 90 300tdi auto, 1999 Rangerover 2.5 dse auto,  2001 Freelander TD4 Auto 

#13 Anglo-Frenchman

Anglo-Frenchman

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

A big thumbs-up to the Japanese then!

#14 JimAttrill

JimAttrill

So important that they banned 50 000 IP addresses to shut me up

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts
  • Location:S 2601.3' E02758.5 1373m Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

Are there any downloadable service manuals for the TD5 unit?
Ged

Here is the Disco II TD5 manual. It is pretty big, though at 47Mb so you will need a broadband connection...

http://www.filecrunch.com/file/~py1ew9
1996 Defender 300Tdi 110 csw

#15 Anglo-Frenchman

Anglo-Frenchman

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Jim. I have looked at the link but can only see a download for the 90/110 200tdi suppliment (sorry if I'm being thick).

Ged

#16 JimAttrill

JimAttrill

So important that they banned 50 000 IP addresses to shut me up

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts
  • Location:S 2601.3' E02758.5 1373m Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

Whoops try this link.

http://www.filecrunch.com/file/~s5y5y3
1996 Defender 300Tdi 110 csw

#17 Anglo-Frenchman

Anglo-Frenchman

Old Hand

• Settled In
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

Hi Jim,
Have found the download page but when I try to download the file I get a blank page - says something like 'page cannot be displayed'. Any ideas? Sorry to be a pain.

Ged

#18 NeilF

NeilF

• Settled In
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

Yes, I had the same problem - has it been removed from the server?

#19 tempestv8

tempestv8

• New Faces
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:31 AM

I tried the download too, and it didn't work after the count down had finished. :(

Lawrance Lee
'99 DII V8 auto
Melbourne, Australia

#20 tempestv8

tempestv8

• New Faces
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

Ged

Re the original question, the TD5 motor is definitely a Land Rover "in house" design. It was supposed to be made more modular so that a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder derivative could be manufacturered based on this same design, so presumably a 4 cylinder version for the Freelander and a 6 cylinder version for a Range Rover. But BMW purchased Land Rover in 1994 and canned the 4 and 6 cylinder derivatives, so the TD5 remained.

Shame to see this engine go, after only a run of 8 years production, now that the DII is obsoleted and the Ford Puma/Transit engine has made its way into the Defender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users