Salisbury Plain - 20/07/08

A couple of us are heading up to the plains on Sunday 20th July.

Would be nice if a few others wanted to join us - we're meeting at The Bat & Ball in Breamore at 10am. Feel free to post a further meeting point on route.

This'll be my first time, but I know there are a few regulars on here!

Anyone else fancy a day out?

Cheers

Sam

Guest diesel_jim

Would love to, but for 2 reasons...

1) the shogun is pants off road and the 110 isn't finished :(

2) i'll be at billing show :)

I could be up for that if I manage to get my truck sorted this weekend. It's got a taste for propshaft UJ's at the moment. What kind of a route did you have in mind?

The route is not set, but I'd probably stay to the south side of the plain. Where would you be looking to go Daveturnball?

Tony

Tony,

I've got various routes of previous years SCOR randonee's marked on my maps. I was planning on going out sometime soon with one of my friends (RustyRuss on here) who has recently bought his first land rover. I did plot out a bit of a route starting in downton, head west a bit, north a bit, past the racecourse, across the bottom of salisbury, out on the southampton road, and do a big loop out to the east then finish back in fordingbridge. Not much on the plain, but a lot of the good lanes that surround it.

There is a very good lane at wilsford hill (SU 095 558) but it's only really driveable in a downward direction (north) that I remember from last years randonee, although it's a bit out of the way for this outing being on the very bottom of the swindon & devizes map.

If you like your greenlaning, read this. AndyB is a regular competitor...

Cheers,

Dave

If you like your greenlaning, read this. AndyB is a regular competitor...

My ears are burning :D

Would have liked to have come on this laning trip but I'm planning on being at Billing that day.

Watch out tho, a lot of lanes around Whitsbury and east/north-east of Downton are RBs now. :(

@Tony. Randonne is a good fun event. Will be there this year with Vicky navigating.

would love to come but my timing belt snapped coming up onto pepper box hill the other evening. :angry: As andyb above said a few lanes have changed to RBs there are also a couple of closed lanes around too Being resurfaced i belive.

Dave.

When did all that change? I've got a fairly recent map (2005) and the lanes I was going to use were ones we used on the randonee in 2006.

Anything that was a RUPP is now an RB. IIRC you can't get from Downton east across to Pepperbox Hill or west out to Whitsbury downs.

A pain really, cos that was the quickest way to get 'on the lanes' off the A338 when coming up from our end of the world.

HTH

Anything that was a RUPP is now an RB. IIRC you can't get from Downton east across to Pepperbox Hill or west out to Whitsbury downs.

A pain really, cos that was the quickest way to get 'on the lanes' off the A338 when coming up from our end of the world.

HTH

I've got nothing directly east from downton, but loads of tracks to the west over whitsbury downs so may have to rethink that part of my plan. Not that I managed to get a chance to work on the land rover at the weekend, so I'll now be using my evenings this week to try and get it done.

Right, I've just nipped down to waterstones in my lunch break to take a look at the latest map (2007). It looks the same as my 2005 version, and the key only lists RB's and BOATS - no sign of RUPPS. So I'd assume the BOATS over whitsbury down are still open...

If anyone is interested, Waterstones currently have a 3 for 2 offer on all their OS maps. Landranger series are £6.99 ea.

The area shown by the link is exactly where i was going to start, one of the reasons for going is to see what is open and what has been changed. I have two maps with differing information. The trouble with OS is that they take no respnsibility for thier interpretation of the topology, and I don't know where the definitive map would be stored for the Salisbury area.

I'll have to go by the latest OS map I guess, and see how they are marked when I get there.

ooo, sounds good. which map number is Salibury Plain? dave, are you deffo joining us? meeting at the bat and ball?

Sam

Salisbury = 184. Hopefully joining you in my truck, if not will be sat in with RustyRuss (assuming there's room for another vehicle). Going to start working on mine at Stunning Services tomorrow eve, then just need to get Pete to fabricate me a new 'zorst centre section.

Bat and Ball sounds like a good start point.

Dave

I don't know where the definitive map would be stored for the Salisbury area.

As with all definitive maps, County Hall, in the case of Wiltshire, in Trowbridge. See their website. Give them a call and speak to Barbara (as mentioned in the LR4x4 link above), she is very helpful and will try to help on the phone.

Chris