defender mot weight changes?

del

I was reading in landrover owner magazine that from jan 2010 if your landie has a revenue weight of more than 3000kg you have to reapply for a v5 so that you can get an mot at a standard mot station,otherwise you have to get it tested at a class 7 lorry mot station. my 90 is classed at 3499kg,and the article it was saying that to verify that your vehicle is under the 3499kg you have to take a picture of the weight plate inside the engine comparment and send this off with the old v5 to get your landie reclassed,has anyone heard of this??

You mean this:

From January any utility vehicle with a GVW of 3000-3500kg will have to undergo a class 7 MOT

Unfortunately, the DVLA have been using 3499kg as the default GVW on Land Rovers for a number of years. Unless your V5 states the correct figure (or one under 3000kg), you will have to take a class 7 test.

What you need to do is check your V5 documents - under 'Revenue Weight' if the figure states 3499kg, you need to amend the V5 with the correct weight and return it to the DVLA.

If your Land Rover is post-1979, the correct weight should be stamped on the VIN plate - it's the first figure in a list of three weights.

For older Land Rovers, the figures are in the original manuals

Some people have had their V5s returned with a letter asking for proof of the actual GVW figure. What we suggest is to send a photocopy of the relavent manual page, or a photograph of the VIN plate, off in the same envelope as the V5. Alternatively, visit your local DVLA office and talk it through with someone there - you should be issued an amended V5 with no hassles. LRO.

I read the same thing but can't find anything on the DVLA or VOSA sites to confirm it. even if thats the case it's not the end of the world, just do as it says in the article and get the V5 changed, it would probably be worth taking it to a weighbridge as well just so theres no arguments about what it weighs.

:)

just put a posting on the series 2 forum and they seem to think that all the mot centres will be given a chart with weights on them as a guide ,but I think i will go dowm the check the vin line and post off the v5 as i like using my usuall mot ststion as hes "landrover freindly"

I`m a MOT tester and we have classes 4,5, and 7. The main differences between 4 & 7 for us are checking the speed rating and load rating of the tyres and the dreaded calculation of the brake efficiences using the GVW of the vehicle. It usually means that class 7 vans only just pass on brake efficiency. That is using the proper brake tester , using the decelerometer I`ll try one and get back to you. We do not usually charge extra for class 7

could be fun at the next mot my 90 v5 reads 3900kg

What for GVW or Gross vehicle Weight !!! class 4 is upto 3000 kg class 7 is 3001 to 3500 kg , after this you have to go to VOSA. I tested a VW LT46 or 4.6 tonne gross van the other day ,,, asi t had been replated to 3500kg GVW

I`ll check with vosa when I start back as to correct procedure for landies, as we had not received any special notices telling us about landies up until 23rd Dec when I finished up

could be fun at the next mot my 90 v5 reads 3900kg

!!! Which makes it a HGV.

You'll have to test yours at the VOSA Goods Vehicle Testing Station!

Plus, you'll need a tacho fitted with a 6 yearly in date, regardless of wether it's private or commercial use.

And they'll want to see your 7 plate, which I presume you won't have???

I'd get it changed quick, before you get in bother :)

I don't appear to have any weight at all printed on my v5!? :ph34r:

neither do I and mines a '98 110 HT. IF no weight is printed in the V5 does that mean a default class 7. although it is stamped 3050kg on the vin plate. Its just that when they tap in my reg no at mot time, they wont have any figure coming back to them!

the tester`s manual tells me to go to vin plate and check the gvw for determining the class of vehicle , the only time this doesn`t come into force is on vehicles such as campers which automatically go to class 4. My 90 shows 3500Kgs as well ,,, bugger . Another exception was what was called dual purpose vehicles which were L200s etc .

Now worried! I dug out my V5 last night and under the revenue weight it is 2400kg, this is on a 54 td5 90 hardtop. This is normal then as you don't present your V5 at MOT would they know even with new computerised MOT system? I guess as with all these things it is up to the owner/driver to check?

Knowing how impossibly slow DVLA are I don't envy anyone who has to try and change one.

Amusing DVLA story, my sister in law is a GP, she had a letter from DVLA about a patient to do a 'age related fit to drive check' having not seen the patient for years as clearly healthy the person duly arrived for their medical, on checking the notes the driver had been registered blind for 15 years, no one had told DVLA! they could see to a limited extend. -don't worry they are no longer on the road.

was in work today , working on my landy , checked system for messages and nothing from VOSA , will ring them and clarify this situation when we start back properly next week . Checked the landys we have in work and all over the place for GVW on the chassis plates ,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

Which LRO edition was the artical about the gvw and weights on v5s?

Seems I have to change to a new Mot station as well, just hope this one will be as land rover friendly as the current one, which I have used for last 10 years.

Anyone successfully changed there gvw on the v5, was it really that easy to do/inform dvla?