STOLEN : Green Landrover Defender 90 Td5 in sheffield

Stanleytd5

Last night a metallic green land rover defender td5 station wagon was stolen in sheffield, probably by pikeys.

it has:

-large bf goodrich ats on rusty powder coat black steel rims.

-raised air intalke,

-silver chequer plate,

-a 2" lift,

-a Steering guard

-Wipac spots on a silver A bar.

Distinct features:

-Door mounted wheel carrier with no spare wheel

-Dent in front right wing and some creasing in the top right of roof

-Some rust on rear cross member

-Monster sticker in rear left window next to the door

Pictured to follow, check my DP for now...

Any information is greatly appreciated!

cheers,

Stanleytd5

On this topic, and without giving away security tips(!) - what is this about removing a sidelight or indicator to short out stuff? and anyway, how do they get around the fact of a steering lock in about 20 seconds?

Finally, would I be right in thinking that covert extra security precautions would be advisable? (again, I don't want to broadcast tips to the rapscallions)

how do they get around the fact of a steering lock in about 20 seconds?

Finally, would I be right in thinking that covert extra security precautions would be advisable?

i suppose the just wrench the steering wheel so hard that it unlocks

and of course adding any devices will help! from brake to engine immobilisers

sidelight shorting was common in the late nineties as the central locking/alarm was often on same circuit, lost a laguna estate that way, dont know what it did but seemed to short all circuits and voila open doors and no alarm. after a couple of years manufacturers changed it. my laguna was 1999

On this topic, and without giving away security tips(!) - what is this about removing a sidelight or indicator to short out stuff? and anyway, how do they get around the fact of a steering lock in about 20 seconds?

Finally, would I be right in thinking that covert extra security precautions would be advisable? (again, I don't want to broadcast tips to the rapscallions)

On TD5's these are normally removed on nearside to cut the horn wires, so they do their work in peace and quiet.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of an update: no sign of the above LR, I understand, but in October November there have been (just to my knowledge, cross checking between Landywatch and Landyzone) about 8 (probably more) defenders stolen in Sheffield region and NE Derbyshire.

There is a skillful and determined gang working the area.

Disklocks, pedal locks, immobilisers and security lights don't really put them off.

Please do pass on warnings, report thefts to Landywatch, and take extra measures to inconvenience thieves.

Oh, and be careful! - they WILL run you down if you get in the way!

Something useful a friendly police officer told me was that distinctive trucks covered in stickers get stolen less than plain looking ones.

Personally, I'm not a fan of trucks covered in stickers - but I've started to overcome my dislike in favour of keeping it!

I suppose it makes sense!

Si

Yes, worrying stuff. Apparently a couple of months ago three Range/Land Rovers were stolen overnight from a petrol station forecourt in Bakewell, Derbyshire. They sell nearly new vehicles there and left them out overnight (might have been mentioned on here, I only joined this week). I seem to hear of some sort of Land Rover being pinched every few weeks, sad stuff.

I garage the Defender overnight every night, I think the neighbours think I'm a bit overly attentive but better that than lose it. It's like part of the family!

Does anyone know whether Freelanders are particularly bad for theft, or is it more the Defender/Series/Range Rovers etc? Asking as we are looking for a Freelander and wondering whether I need to be as cautious about that as I am the Defender?

Really sorry to hear about one stolen on here, not that far from Sheffield myself, will keep an eye out for it.

ST