Air Filter arrangement for a Discovery 200 tdi into a Defender?

Just prepping for my transplant!

Now that so many conversions have been done, just wanted to ask whether there is a preferred approach to the routing of ducting and mounting of the air filter.

If anyone has any photos i’d be grateful

Also whilst on the subject of air... I’ve purchased the Steve Parker Inter cooler plumbing kit.

Reading the Glencoyne 200tdi transplant info though, it recommends ‘clocking the turbo’ as the ducting gets too close to the inner wing. Is this worth doing? I imagine if I did go this way it might through out some of the Steve P. hoses though.

Thanks

Nick

I have a disco 200 in my 109, to which I have fitted 90/110 inner wings, with the intercooler in roughly the same place as the defender one. I did not clock the turbo (300 by the way, clears the chassis rail better). the ducting does run along the side of the inner wing, but I have had no issues with it, in fact it sits there quite nicely with the screen washer pipe running along the top of it....might keep it defrosted....

I used the Steve Parker air filter bracket on my conversion. This means that I had to relocate the washer fluid bottle to under the front wing using a td5 bottle.

If I get a chance I will put up some pics. Tell me what your after particularly and I'll do my best.

HTH

I used my old NA diesel air filter and housing and mounted it where the ac pump would go. It means you have to run a air pipe over the other side of the engine to the turbo but I have not had any problems. I didn't turn my turbo it is close and I cut a square out the inner wing but it's not really needed. I did turn top of my thermostat housing round so I coud use standard top hose.

Also what I forgot To do until after fitting engine was to move the clutch pipe over else it touches the exhaust. I wrapped my exhaust in heat wrap to stop it getting too hot.

Hope this helps

Baz

Thanks chaps.. seems a common theme to put it where the air con would go.

A couple of questions.

Maverik / Baz. Where is the air intake on your vehicles? Do you have an intake on the drivers side wing? I dont currenly have one.

Maverik. In your construction photos of the mounting - what filter and the actual mounting on top of the ali plate are you using - is this from the donor discover? Also I dont suppose you made a plan of the dimension. I imagine it might be quite popular!

You can mount a TDi canister filter on the pasenger side inner wing, you just need to make a simple bracket to mount the filter to the inner wing. Easy to connect up to the intake on the turbo then as well.

To make room you would need to move the washer bottle over to the driver side -- to do this just remove the bottle, follow the wiring back a little way till you get to a multiplug near the heater, undo it, then you will find the same multiplug on the drivers side (for LHD vehicles). The washer bottle fits neatly between rady and expansion tank. Even the washer tubing reaches if you unthread it behind the dash and route it to its new location.