HELP BEFORE MY DEFENDER ENDS UP IN BITS.....

Hi every one help help help please..

Those of you who read the posting a sorry tale ....to add to this

John my friend and full on macanic has been under my Defender since 8am I left at 1pm and he was still trying to push in the small plastic clip that holds the clutch slave push rod in place...

Has any one please any tips or ideas on how to get that clip to clip in position ????

Anybody anything before he smashes my defender to bits the poor guy had smoke coming out his ears when I left ????

post-10229-0-74327800-1413641447_thumb.jpg

Others may correct me, but can't you forget about the plastic clip until next time the box is off and re-assemble without it? I think the pushrods will stay in place sandwiched between the release arm and the slave and the clip is to make it easier to assemble. Wait for someone to confirm, but I think that's right.

Yes, mine is cable tied in, but I'm pretty sure it's only to make the pushrod easier to locate in the release arm. If it had any function to hold it there, I think it would break easily under the pressure that must go through it.

he could try a length of pipe, put the rod in the clip with a blob of grease to keep it in place as in your photo then the pipe over the rod then feed it in to bell housing so the pipe will push the clip into the operating arm.

IIRC at my last clutch change I put a cable tie around the clip/operating arm to retain it in place.

Western that's EXACTLY what he has been doing poor poor john just spoke to him on the phone he had it all together and the pipe wouldn't screw in to the slave so tried to ease it off again to clean the tread and it all came out again .......plus he layed on his Iphone 5 and broke it he is not happy at all

I'm sure I read on here somewhere of tying with a slip knot the springy (ish) plastic forks together to hold the bayonets in enough to go in slot , fit then hold plastic clip in place with a short bit of tube over the rod then pulling the slip knot to release the retaining bayonets .Maybe some 2kg fishing line ?

And yeah cable ties are a good thing next time it's apart .

Or , as Reb78 said just put it together without the clip , the light pressure of the slave piston will hold it place . It's certainly worked for me in the past

cheers

Steveb

I made a tool from a piece of 15mm copper, crimped around the pushrod and them a few mm cut off the end to leave a little slot that can engage in between the legs of the clip. Works a treat and it means you can get positive engagement with the clip into the fork. Not at home or I could try and find it for a pic.

Well gear box off is better than engine out ....no joke I love that dam thing so so much its my pride and joy I even talk to it when I'm working on her (I really should go out more)

I know at the end of the day its a lump of metal but im so dam upset I don't earn much but I spend every penny I have on it clean it polish it care for it and over 10 years slowly done it up (as you all seen from the pics).....I could have the worst day going yet I get in me landy drive it and just smile and smile and smile I really do love that dam thing but at the mo I really could cry ......more out of not knowing whats wrong causing two slaves to go and not knowing how serious me landy has gone wrong.......I can do minor stuff and unbolt things change things like doors etc and do the minor stuff but unlike you guys I'm no full on landy do any thing guy swop chassis change engines, gearboxes etc etc....and I don't have the facilities to even try....

Western you all ways been a major help with her and sorted me out so so many times with that encyclopedia in that head of your about defenders God how I wish I had your knowledge - skills or you lived next door at the me lol .....I must look like a wounded puppy my Mrs keeps cuddling me stroking my head "don't worry darling we can fix it. cheer up it can be mended" .......

Once I know what it is will feel a bit better about it all as will know whats to be done.....worst thing that's ever happened to her in 10 year GUTTED .............can you tell lol