Remote turnover of 2.5 NA for valve adjustment

Kev, Ordered the washers and they were dispatched today. It was snowing on Sunday so I didn't get much time to look at the old washers...providing that they are there.

Thanks all for your replies. I guess that this is an obvious solution. I use a remote starter on my MGB because I cannot get a socket easily on the crank pulley nut.

James: That sounds like great advice with a bit of a back story?! 

Err, yes. A big bang/clatter, two seconds of "what the f... has happened to my engine!?", then realisation dawns. Took a chunk out of the fan cowl though!

Another method is to jack up a front wheel and turn it with the car in the appropriate gear, which will turn the engine over.

On mine, when I had a 300tdi and left the socket on the end of the crank, fortunately it was a ratchet so didn't spin the entire assembly until it hit something solid but I wondered what the new noise was. Or when I had a Laverda Jota and fired that up, the blast from the exhaust sent the dustbin flying, from inside a helmet it sounded like the bottom of the engine had just fallen out.