Recommended a swivel kits?

What swivel kits are you using? I dont want Britpart, but has anyone else found  decent source of a kit that contains everything you need to replace the ball, seals and bearings etc? Mine is the earlier type with the Railko bush at the top. I replaced the seal this morning, but it is leaking more than before so I will just rebuild the whole thing to save further faffing.

I think this is a Britpart number DA3167G), but thoughts on this kit? It uses corteco seals and timken bearings and BP swivel balls get a reasonable review (even on here).

http://www.lrparts.net/oem-swivel-housing-kit-for-defender-up-to-ka930455-chassis-number-oem-swivel-housing-ball-corteco-seals-and-timken-bearings.html

I brought mine from famous four I think that was a britpart kit but all Oem parts. Wanted chrome swivels but was told you can't get them any more, all went together ok can't say what they're like as it was for a rebuild and it's not mot'd yet.

cheers Ian

I fitted Britpart swivels on mine, had the truck five years after fitting and they were still good when I sold it. To many people I think knock Britpart without even giving them a chance. Right, of now with my bullet proof jacket and hard hat on.

3 minutes ago, ukspike said:

I fitted Britpart swivels on mine, had the truck five years after fitting and they were still good when I sold it. To many people I think knock Britpart without even giving them a chance. Right, of now with my bullet proof jacket and hard hat on.

Nearly everything I have ever bought from BP has been utter carp, so they have had their chance. The swivel on the other side of my 110 is a BP item and has lasted fine so far. However, I will happily spend more to get better quality and avoid BP entirely.

28 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Nearly everything I have ever bought from BP has been utter carp, so they have had their chance. The swivel on the other side of my 110 is a BP item and has lasted fine so far. However, I will happily spend more to get better quality and avoid BP entirely.

I'll have a look when I'm home later for the bearmach number for the bit. But as I said above, its only the seals/bearings etc it doesn't include the swivel balls. 

Britpart swivel balls have been good other than a couple of small chips on one which would happen to any make.

• Like 1

As much as I hate to give Britpart credit for anything the swivel balls on my 90 are from them, 'OEM' spec bought before I knew better - though I did know enough to use proper suppliers for the rest of the bits of the kit. They have done well over 120k now with no issues other than the Teflon coating wearing off.

If I was doing it again I would probably go for Land Rover ones though just because I hate giving Britpart money for anything, even if it's good.

I would avoid the kits because you still have some unknowns in there. The gaskets for example, we've all seen Britpart gaskets made out of tracing paper. Proper Land Rover ones are generally nice and thick. However to be fair the most important bits seem to be taken care of in that 'OEM' kit.

• Like 1