Disco 300 TDi Vibrating and a clonk on the rear..

V8defender90

Hi, I noticed driving home yesterday that the disco started to vibrate at low speed, and now it clonking. (sounds as if the something on the wheel). I have checked the bearings, uj's for play but noticed the rubber dounut has a few splits. Am I guessing that the dounut is about to give up? anyone else experienced this?

All help appreciated.

Regards

Matt.

Yeah its quite a common problem, and would give the symptoms you've described, new is cheapish and they aren't hard to replace. They are especially vulnerable when you go off road.

Or you can replace it with a 200tdi prop which has a UJ at both ends, need to change the diff flange (again not hard) and then your donut woes will be gone for good with a much harder wearing joint :)

Sounds just like the noise I had from the back a few weeks back. But then there was all the britpart bearings that'd turned to shrapnel that came out in sympathy with it too.

As an additional note apart from the noise there was no wobble in the rear at all so may be worth having a look and seeing if you've a load of assorted bits of metal in the hub.

I just need to convince the remaining bearing race that I am serious and would like it to get off the half shaft. Even Landrover tool no2 (angle grinder) hasnt convinced it to let go

Hi, I noticed driving home yesterday that the disco started to vibrate at low speed, and now it clonking. (sounds as if the something on the wheel). I have checked the bearings, uj's for play but noticed the rubber dounut has a few splits. Am I guessing that the dounut is about to give up? anyone else experienced this?

All help appreciated.

Regards

Matt.

Matt, I have just replaced the propshaft coupling rubber on mine for this very reason. I knew it had a couple of minor splits but was waiting for better weather, well it started knocking and clanking coming home from a DOC meeting a few weeks back...ordered a new GKN unit from JGS4x4 on eBay, replaced it and no problems.

Don't bother with the kits unless it is a GKN one as they are Britpart and the bolts are rubbish, waste of money paying extra for what you won't dare to use..

i've just changed the front props transfer box uj and what difference that has made and it took some levering before it showed any sign that it had failed at a couple of different rotation points and then only only one bearing had gone so it may not be as loose as you think it should be. my donut has splits and was my first suspect but it's still there and none of the vibration is still there. i also changed both rear roll bar to axle ends that killed of another rear clunk. :rolleyes:

Another common cause of clunks on a TDi is the rear "A"-frame and it's ball-joint. The joint wears and starts to clonk when going over rough ground or when coming on and off the throttle.

Cheap part but a bit of a bûgger to do. Planning to rebuild the A frame on my wife's car next week - weather permitting.

• 7 months later...

The flange on the rear diff has a protruding dowel that sits in a bearing/bush inside the prop shaft. The rubber doughnut transmits the rotational forces, the dowel and bush locate the propshaft to the flange and take the radial forces.

Anyone got any tips on how to get the bushing out? I bought a GKN kit last time which came with the bushing but never fitted it, partly as the old one looked fine and partly because I couldn't see a sensible way of removing it!

Due to the 2" lift my disco tends to eat doughnuts on a regular basis (excuse the pun ^_^) but as they are so cheap I havn't bothered swapping to a 200tdi prop.