Swivel bush/bearing replacement

Have noticed slightly more play in the steering lately and have looked at all the obvious points of wear and found when rocking the jacked up wheel (12 and 6 position) that its play in the o/s swivel pins/bearings.

As its only slight play Im guessing that a swivel seal kit will suffice to replace either of the bearings/railko bush, or is it likely that I'l need the swivel pins upper and lower as well?

In other words, do the pins wear as much as the bearings?

remove one or more to eliminate the movement, thereby making it tighter.

Well, yes, that would work anyway, but doesn't tell you much at all really. Doing this may only introduce a slight difference in the bush/pin for perhaps a short while, which may then come back - possibly after just a short journey. Support the hub with a jack, remove the two top pin bolts, then rotate the pin 180deg, and replace the bolts and test for play. If it's gone, then the bush will need replacing. The pins don't often wear, but for the cost of it - replace the bush and pin, and shim as required.

The thing with the railko bush and pin is that any play means that there is wear that can only be temporarily eliminated.

Les.

The thing with the railko bush and pin is that any play means that there is wear that can only be temporarily eliminated.

Les.

I thought that might be the case Les, but worth the try for a little while anyway. I guess the bearing/pin on the 300tdi is the better swivel option but can it be retro fitted into a 200tdi hub?

Taper roller bearing top and bottom on the 200 and 300 models and what usually happens is water gets in the swivel housing and the bottom bearing corrods - creating play. If you have to replace the swivel pin bearings, then hub strip down I'm afraid. I think the pin bearings are the same for the 200 and 300 engined models. You will also need other parts, such as swivel seal, drive member gasket, swivel ball/axle tube gasket, etc.

This thread is the complete rebuild of a front hub (some of which you don't need to do). This is the railko bush type, but apart from that it's the same method and mostly the same parts.

http://forums.lr4x4....?showtopic=7546

Les.

On a Defender then the later setup (taper roller bearing top and bottom) came in at the start of the 300Tdi run. 200Tdis had the railko bush at the top, with the possible exception of some very late ones which may have got 300Tdi stuff.

Upper pin and bearing/bush is different between the two setups, but I believe the lower bearing/pin to be common. Swivel housing itself and the chrome/teflon ball is also different. And stubs/hubs/shafts but none of that is relevant to this issue.