Ideas on stronger axles required

On ebay there is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-P38-4-6-LITRE-COMPLETE-REAR-AXLE-DIFF-DIFFERNTIAL-HUBS-ESSEX-/182345935461?hash=item2a74aa2a65:g:QroAAOSwFV9X0DP6

Gives you a 4 pin diff I believe. Front shafts from ashcroft £245, rear shafts £260. about £400 per axle you wont break them ever I reckon. For Cv's, use standard 23 spline 110 ones. You can start with 1 axle at the time, or just replace once your standard stuff is broken.

I ran these cv's since 2002 (and they were used parts from a scrapper!). They are still in there, and that's with detroit diffs and 35s, Taken to hell and back a few times. 

I cant see swapping toyota stuff being a viable option, or even cheaper.

Daan

14 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

1. Mechanical sympathy doesn't guarantee zero breakages, but if you break something it's a cheap standard part and you've learnt not to do it again :P

2. You say:

Now, to me it sounds like the rules are you've got to retain stock LR axles, or perhaps at least all LR-compatible bits. So, going down a route where you might "hide" non-standard or non-LR components in an LR casing sounds like it may be agin the rules, or at the very least stretching the bounds of good sportsmanship. It also begs the question, why compete if you're not following the rules that your fellow competitors are? You may not care overly much, but the guy who comes in behind you having had to exercise a bit more care because his truck is within the rules might not appreciate it.

Back to the subject of axles, Dangerous Doug has hit the nail on the clit. You also need to factor in the huge ball ache of conversions & axle swaps, ashcroft or other uprated bits may seem expensive but the fact it all just bolts in, and you can throw a stock LR part back in its place at a moment's notice, saves a lot of pratting about and a ton of engineering problems needing solved on the way.

I agree with your last comments fully. Just wanted to explore options. I do quite like the idea of a Salisbury rear, but I'm not going to pay silly for one.

As for the ALRC rule. Currently/previously they have two classes; Standard & Modified. In both of these classes you can replace all the axle internals with uprated stronger parts on a direct like for like basis. And run any diff ratio, not just LR factory ones. So Ashcroft CV's, shafts and CW&P are already run by many and have been for years.

You can even fit diff lockers, but in these classes you can't use them for competition, which means air or solenoid activated ones, rather than a detroit style. As when deactivated a locker is just an open diff. But you can't run an ATB diff centre, as LR didn't offer them. But using D2/p38 or long/short nose diffs and switching and swapping bits is perfectly acceptable and within the rules. And for CCV's and comps completely common and normal.

Q class is a new class (official start date Jan 2017) that is a level up from modified, so you can run pretty much anything, including lockers for competition use and ATB's. The only restriction is, as it's a one make club they want the major item to remain Land Rover based. So you can't swap on Unimog axles or complete Toyota, GM or Ford axles. In essence this means you can swap the internal bits about as much as you like.

19 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I agree with your last comments fully. Just wanted to explore options. I do quite like the idea of a Salisbury rear, but I'm not going to pay silly for one.

As for the ALRC rule. Currently/previously they have two classes; Standard & Modified. In both of these classes you can replace all the axle internals with uprated stronger parts on a direct like for like basis. And run any diff ratio, not just LR factory ones. So Ashcroft CV's, shafts and CW&P are already run by many and have been for years.

You can even fit diff lockers, but in these classes you can't use them for competition, which means air or solenoid activated ones, rather than a detroit style. As when deactivated a locker is just an open diff. But you can't run an ATB diff centre, as LR didn't offer them. But using D2/p38 or long/short nose diffs and switching and swapping bits is perfectly acceptable and within the rules. And for CCV's and comps completely common and normal.

Q class is a new class (official start date Jan 2017) that is a level up from modified, so you can run pretty much anything, including lockers for competition use and ATB's. The only restriction is, as it's a one make club they want the major item to remain Land Rover based. So you can't swap on Unimog axles or complete Toyota, GM or Ford axles. In essence this means you can swap the internal bits about as much as you like.

Not that Im every going to do anything that uses these rules, could you not start with a more modern Rover traction control system instead of diff locks? and there is also the Borg Warner transfer case that was in the RRCs which has some sort of ATB type centre in it

On 02/12/2016 at 8:05 AM, steve200TDi said:

It's interesting you say they get bent as I've heard a few people comment about this. Are they actually weaker? So maybe worth adding some bracing to them if I decided to use them for comp safari!

Early RRC axles also bend in Comp Safari so D2 are no worse. Tomcat Motorsport do an internal strenghtener kit.