200tdi boost gauge install

dred90

• 2 years later...

i unscrewed the brass plug from rear of inlet manifold and drilled and tapped it 1/8 npt , then fitted the gauge hose adapter in the plug and put it back in the manifold .

that then shows me the boost pressure directly at the inlet manifold, mine is set to 1.2bar on a 300tdi .

sorry to hi-jack the thread slightly but would this be the same pipe to install the gauge on a pre tdi turbo?

Yep, that pipe is going to the waste gate actuator. The other part of the pipe will be going to the top of the fuel injections pump to supply more fuel as the boost pressure increases.

They all have the same pressure, so tapping in anywhere on either pipe will give the same reading.

Just wanted to check with someone in the know, that this is the correct hose to splice the t-piece for a boost gauge into on a 200tdi

fu5iz9.jpg

cheers

With that PVC type pipe that close to the turbo you'll probably find it degrades and ballons very quickly - have a look at the pic a bit further down for a better solution. While you can get fittings from aquarium shops and garden centres that do fit, generally they're not up to the heat requirement close to the turbo (go on, ask me how I know). Either using vacuum piping (very thick walled stuff available from most motor factors) as in the pics below your original post, or, if you're a cheapskate like me, some bits of metal brake line pipe near the turbo end will solve the problem.

Cheers,

Guest mortus

thats the cold air side of the turbo.. so i doubt it gets hot, as its got cold air rushing through it like crazy

also... if plastic things melt.. how does that rubber pipe not get destroyed?

The heat shield is generally to stop heat radiating from the exhaust side of the turbo however that does not mean the air side does not get hot. The plastic may not melt but it could degrade reasonably quickly due to the heat both from radiation and from the air it is carrying, compressed air get's quite hot, hence intercoolers.

Martin

Of course the air DOES get hot when it is compressed. That is why it is important to use tubing and fittings that can take heat. The stock stuff is specified to take that amount of heat.

The clear tubing shown in that photo is not very heat resistant.

• 3 years later...

If it didn't get hot why would you need an intercooler???

I've managed to leave my palm print on water cooled intercooler of a marine diesel when it was running flat out, it was that hot.

• 6 years later...