A tale of a TD5

JimAttrill

Ok, this vehicle was brought to us as the Land Rover stealer wanted R90k (about 6k UKP) to fix it. The engine had seized and as we found out, it was the camshaft that had seized. We removed the head, had the head skimmed on top and the whole assembly line-bored. Ok, the camshaft 'bearings' were not perfect, but as the boring guy said, they will keep the oil in. He said he had done about 30 other TD5s for the same problem.

So we get it all back together and start it. Fine, except the oil light is on. So I get the guys to remove the sump, thinking of the oil pump bolt troubles, although this is a 2003 motor, so that should not be a problem. The mechanic brings the oil strainer to me, and this is what I got out of it....

P3060005Small.jpg

To be continued ....

Ok, the fan belt broke and wound itself around the pulley. It then forced its way past the pulley seal, which you can see in the photo, and worked its way into the sump. I also found this to be completely unbelievable until I saw it. So there you go....

But the owner must have driven the thing for a while with the oil light on, but that is easy here where it is very sunny. That's why we recommend fitting an Engine Mangement System which has an audible alarm on these things.

The turbo is also stuffed now we get it to run, and it doesn't sound too good, possibly a big or small end at no 1 cylinder. We will give it back to the owner and he will most likely flog it soon.

This seems to be a one-in-a-million occurrence. You can imagine how Brian and I were scratching our heads and trying to figure out how the fanbelt ended up in the sump. At one time I thought it was sabotage, what else?

But there you go, nothing is impossible with Land Rovers!

The moment the drive belt went away he lost the steering assistance also. Let's say he didn't see the lights on the dash but didn't he notice a much increased force needed to steer? Or maybe he was driving on a very long and very straight road at hi speed.

But the owner must have driven the thing for a while with the oil light on, but that is easy here where it is very sunny.
The moment the drive belt went away he lost the steering assistance also. Let's say he didn't see the lights on the dash but didn't he notice a much increased force needed to steer? Or maybe he was driving on a very long and very straight road at hi speed.

He may not have noticed it 'some' of the roads out there are good, straight and long! (mind you some of them are terrible!)

This one was like this for 125km

post-53-1204893786_thumb.jpg