search problems

dougstar

oops looks like i missed another pre disscussed issue then? :blush:

i did look first honest.

Mods is there any way that you can alter the settings on the search section?

so's maybe to only look in thread titles for the word you are searching and not highlight each and every time someone has typed each of the words 'axle thread size?' or 'which winch battery' that way it would only bring up the relevent topics and not 25 pages of un appropriate threads?

I know this forum is brilliant in every other aspect but i feel that i cannot be alone here as one of the many that does not spend a terriable amount of time at there PC and be able to hit the 'new posts' button every half hour and keep up to date with what has ans has not been disscussed.

Or has this matter already been disscussed and dissmissed and buried somewhere in the the lr4x4 archives?? :huh:

Dougie

Yeap, it's just you.

Alter the settings yourself: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?s=&a...ch&mode=adv

As cipx2 said - you can do this with the advanced search. The search facilities in Invision Powerboard (the software this forum runs on) are actually pretty good - the only weakness, and it is an annoying one, is that you can't search for anything under four letters long (like say, 'V8' or 'SVA' :rolleyes:). Google is your friend here - either go to the advanced search on there, like Milemarker Type S said, or put site:forums.lr4x4.com in the search box with your search terms.

I find the biggest drawback to this search function is the lack of an ability to search for all words in the term. For example, brake drum shoes will return all results for brake, all results for drum, etc. Do a search for this and it is basically a list of every post made in the last few days!

Read the advanced usage help: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?s=&a...mp;CODE=explain

In this case use +brake +drum +shoes or "brake drum shoes" (if the latter makes sense) or combination. Not as powerful as google but there's no reason to complain about the search facility of IPB forums.

Geoff, you can step down to 3 letter search (if the server has enough resources to cope with this), I did this on a forum. A 2 letter search is not advisable though.

The only bad thing there is with a google search on a IPB forum is that you cannot search within a specific section (which you can easily do on a vBulettin powered forum). Here is where the Advanced Search is to be used.

What I did is to remove the quick search and point all search links within all pages to Advanced Search to encourage people to use the proper way to search in forums. The Quick and Simple Mode search are removed ('cause you can have the same results through advanced mode anyway).