back door

ben

Even better would be to remake the whole rear panel of the car so it comprised two doors with a central (ish) vertical split whoch open up to the full width of the car (like van doors). I've thought of doing this as the rear door is so restrictive for the space available inside.

Cheers, Al.

Even better would be to remake the whole rear panel of the car so it comprised two doors with a central (ish) vertical split whoch open up to the full width of the car (like van doors). I've thought of doing this as the rear door is so restrictive for the space available inside.

Cheers, Al.

Like I did with the back of my trailer made from a Land Rover 109 roof?

041.jpg

056.jpg

The most important thing I found was to make the roof arch wider as I caught my back on the corners a few times to begin with and it was really painful.

Ta for the plug Steve!

Here it is Ben....

post-4824-1233427609_thumb.jpg

It started of as an idea,turned into a challenge, then went beyond the point of no return!

It was a pain to do really, but I wasn't going to be beaten!

First thing I had to do was re-locate spare wheel into the left hand side behind the passenger seat,

I did get a quote for a custom made well out of alloy for £70 but I thought that was a bit pricey!

Then a search found that Land Rover do one anyway for a 110!

It is galvanized and cost £48 from the main dealer. Out with the jig saw ; ).

post-4824-1233430653_thumb.jpg

Then I bought some Range Rover P38 gas struts and looked on Ebay for a pair of boot catches (Ford Ka)

which would suit my solenoid locking idea, it is operated off the 'trunk' opening function on

my alarm and opens with the fob (which I really like!)

Then the hardest job was to find some hinges that would clear the gutter on the bottom of the roof.

Again on Ebay,I found some that could be cut and welded to suit, they are off a LDV/Talbot van here

post-4824-1233429489_thumb.jpg

Cut like this below (machined off)

post-4824-1233429763_thumb.jpg

Then to this

post-4824-1233429943_thumb.jpg

To end up with two off of this

post-4824-1233430062_thumb.jpg

Then put the other side in place and weld to a piece of flat bar (so they are in line)

post-4824-1233430205_thumb.jpg

I had to bolt two pieces of 2" angle iron behind the hinges at the back of the roof and then bolt them to

the door lip for strength....

I used my original battered door to practice on, then when it was all ok, fitted a 2nd hand 'straight' door

bought off Ebay locally.....

That is all the pics I have at the mo as my hard drive controller card went pop!

I think the rest of the pics are on there Ben, but you get the idea?

Positioning the struts was a pain but if you do have a go with them, I can

give you the mounting hole measurements etc..

Regards

Gary