Mapping......m/map or ozi-explora

Adrian Turner

The use of raster maps (like Ozi or MM use) is not so popular anymore. The vector maps are much more prefered.

You have the following options:

1. For both offroad an onroad use (but mainly offroad) there is a Garmin topo map of RO (routable, searcheable), a little over 100 quid : http://www.garmin.ro/produs.php?id=240&amp...9&cat_id=19, rough English translation (disregard the translated price value).

Here's a Live Demo of the latest version (expect some hickups on the website).

2. For mainly onroad use (almost no use offroad) the best map is from http://www.igomyway.eu/product_1.html

3. There are also some old (1970) military topo maps in jpg form, available from underground sources, if you really want to use MM/Ozi/alike. They are 1:100000 or 1:25000, don't remember exactly. I don't have them any more but I can try to do some digging if you're really interested. They're easy to calibrate since all the coordinates are on the map. Here's a sample: http://www.trilulilu.ro/Sisk/1d1957bcd16ae2

The whole map is sliced in over 100 maps, each being 5-10 MB long and there's an index map to help you identify which map you need. The whole package has 1.12 GB IIRC.

All three options are available for both PC and PDA platforms, only the 1st one is usable on Garmin units.

I can post some screen captures of the same area for all 3 options above if you'd like to see a comparison between them.

The use of raster maps (like Ozi or MM use) is not so popular anymore. The vector maps are much more prefered.

You have the following options:

1. For both offroad an onroad use (but mainly offroad) there is a Garmin topo map of RO (routable, searcheable), a little over 100 quid : http://www.garmin.ro/produs.php?id=240&amp...9&cat_id=19, rough English translation (disregard the translated price value).

Here's a Live Demo of the latest version (expect some hickups on the website).

2. For mainly onroad use (almost no use offroad) the best map is from http://www.igomyway.eu/product_1.html

3. There are also some old (1970) military topo maps in jpg form, available from underground sources, if you really want to use MM/Ozi/alike. They are 1:100000 or 1:25000, don't remember exactly. I don't have them any more but I can try to do some digging if you're really interested. They're easy to calibrate since all the coordinates are on the map. Here's a sample: http://www.trilulilu.ro/Sisk/1d1957bcd16ae2

The whole map is sliced in over 100 maps, each being 5-10 MB long and there's an index map to help you identify which map you need. The whole package has 1.12 GB IIRC.

All three options are available for both PC and PDA platforms, only the 1st one is usable on Garmin units.

I can post some screen captures of the same area for all 3 options above if you'd like to see a comparison between them.

I'll be using a Pc and maybe a Garmin as well, please post up some options, they may/will help with my choise.

I'm looking for the best/highest detail i can get...........am i asking for the world :unsure:

The options you have are #1 and #3 in my previous post, the Garmin map and the raster topo maps.

I will use the "map" shown at http://transilvania-trophy.blogspot.com/20...y-and-maps.html as I don't have other gps tracks from earlier TAT editions.

I marked 2 villages with red and blue dots on the map to help you identify some places to start with:

post-1725-1234000582_thumb.jpg

Here is the same area in the Garmin map:

post-1725-1234000703_thumb.jpg

The raster map in the next post.

What format are the coordinates supplied in ?

I've written a touchscreen app for Ozi-Explorer that gives you some additional off road features as well as allowing you to very quickly enter waypoints via a touchscreen interface. So far I've implemented OSGrid, Irish Grid and UTM formats. WGS84 lat and long would be the obvious next coordinate system to support but if events are using any other format and datum it might be worth adding that in too.

Here is the same area in the Garmin map:

cilpx2,

Some interesting info, So the above image is the sort of out put i would get from that Garmin "Digital Atlas of Romania 2008" disc that you posted the Link to?

The detail looks good.

What kit would/do you use to run this, pc or Garmin unit?

That's right. The image you quoted is a snapshot of "Digital Atlas of Romania 2008" as seen in MapSource.

Here is aprox the same area in 3D (blue dot in previous images set as destination) taken from the actual navigation software Garmin Mobile PC - if your not familiar with it you can read a review HERE:

post-1725-1234190009_thumb.jpg

I also use a PDA with a 4" screen and VGA resolution on which I use Garmin Mobile XT with the same map (available for other platforms as well - review HERE).

Of course, you can use the map on a Garmin unit, I no longer have one. A 276C or anything else rugged enough for the job and with a large screen, the larger - the better, will be fine.

I forgot to mention Google Earth - it can also give you some clues on the terrain. You can use it offline on a PC platform once you cache the area and make use of a gps.

Unfortunately, the images in that area are not hires.

For example, here's a piece of the initial map where I've added a green dot. To go from green dot to blue dot you have to take the valley on the right:

post-1725-1234191225_thumb.jpg

Here's what you can see in Google Earth:

post-1725-1234191385_thumb.jpg post-1725-1234191407_thumb.jpg post-1725-1234191423_thumb.jpg

Here is a "slice" of the raster topo map (see the lower left corner), scale 1:100000. I posted the entire slice so you can save, calibrate and test it on MM/OZI.

post-1725-1234001082_thumb.jpg

Just been having a closer look at this, very happy with the detail, goggle earth is damn good to, useing them together should will be a big help. I'll be playing with it some more.

• 4 weeks later...
Just been having a closer look at this, very happy with the detail, goggle earth is damn good to, useing them together should will be a big help. I'll be playing with it some more.

I found them already calibrated for Ozi

StitchMaps is a really useful utility for Ozi...

http://www.stitchmaps.com/

I've used it to stitch OS maps together from MM screenshots and StreetMap 1:25000 OS blocks. I also use it to create calibrated Ozi maps from Google Earth where you zoom out far enough to see the whole area you want, tell it how many squares to divide the area up into (determines the scale/eye height of the finished map and it then stitches it all together resulting in a good definition aerial map complete with .map file for Ozi. Turn on the grid lines in Ozi and you've got a large scale aerial map with OS grid lines overlaid.

I've used it to stitch OS maps together from MM screenshots and StreetMap 1:25000 OS blocks. I also use it to create calibrated Ozi maps from Google Earth where you zoom out far enough to see the whole area you want, tell it how many squares to divide the area up into (determines the scale/eye height of the finished map and it then stitches it all together resulting in a good definition aerial map complete with .map file for Ozi. Turn on the grid lines in Ozi and you've got a large scale aerial map with OS grid lines overlaid.

That's something like the Mapmerge app provided by Ozi or do I see this wrong?

Map merge only merges maps that are already calibrated so it's essentially just a way of joining existing Ozi maps into one bigger map.

StitchMaps takes images of maps and joins them together using pixel comparison to find overlaps. With Google earth it takes a series of low level images to cover the area you've selected, stitches them all together into a single map and saves them as a .map file already calibrated for Ozi (or a few others like Fugawi, Mapinfo etc... you choose the format)

If you're scanning maps or taking screen grabs off something like streetmap then you'd have to calibrate the finished map still but it would join all your screen shots together resolving overlaps etc... without having to calibrate each screen shot first.

Wish I had known of this last year. I spent many many evenings screen capturing GoogleEarth images and calibrating them individually in Ozi ready for our Portugal trip. Must have done over 100 images! :(

Thanks for the heads up Dave. Off to give it a go for Morocco ;)

Wish I had known of this last year. I spent many many evenings screen capturing GoogleEarth images and calibrating them individually in Ozi ready for our Portugal trip. Must have done over 100 images! :(

Thanks for the heads up Dave. Off to give it a go for Morocco ;)

I also have Portugal and Morocco for Ozi ...