dashboard swap

Hi

My defender is like a dog inside and needs an overhaul, just wondering if it would be possible to fit the new dash out of the 08 defenders into the 2000 x which i own to give it a new look#???? if so any no nos or technical stuff i should bare in mind that might not make it phesable.

many thanks andy

very unlikely to retro fit as the dash also houses the heater unit, tunnel & other associated bits are different to, would be easier to swap to a full late spec Td5 dash.

as in an 04 or 06 something along those lines? how much do you recon one should set me back??? or any ideas on rough costs for a full interior in pretty good condition. im new to all this.

many thanks andy

if yours is a 2000 reg I'm guessing it's a early Td5 vehicle, the later dash which has the square mouldings for the wiper motor & screen demist duct would be a fairly straight swap, or which bits do you need to tidy up the existing dash.

try equicar or autocraft4x4 or craddocks for salvaged parts.

well thats the reason i rose the topic!! as i saw the same dash out the puma on ebay and was wondering if it was doable!!! but if heater and electrics are gonna be a headache then might be too much for me to tackle on my own!!! any idea on what a pro would charge to do the swap.

mine is the early td5, bought it like a dog and could really do with full swap!!! as just is not nice to site infront of.

Don’t no why you would wont to change to the 08 dash setup I think its awful, no leg room and I don’t think there is a middle seat option is there. I really think they have stepped backwards with this one. Shame :(

I think not. I doubt if anyone has ever bought a Defender for the legroom. The heater alone is far better than any of the previous offerings not to mention the better aircon and gauges. Who wants to be a passenger in a middle seat having to straddle the transmission tunnel and coping with sundry gear levers sticking into bits where the sun don't shine :rolleyes:

Anyway back to the OP. If I were contemplating this I'd look into swapping the entire bulkhead for a Puma one making sure I'd thought about the transmission tunnel, floorpans and a heap of other things too. Then having thought about it I'd probably decide I'd be happier spending what time I've got left on this planet doing other more pleasurable things and look into buying a Puma instead ;)

righto i think the 08 dash is out then as far too much work involved for me!!! ha but thankyou to you all for your imput saved me alot of time and headaches there i think. not to mention buying a dash that would be a nightmare..

thanks again andy

• 6 years later...