dual alternator on td5

Unless you want to go for 24V for winches etc I would suggest that one big one would be a better solution?

it would be, but on the td5 the vacuum pump is on the alternator so it needs to stay

also would like a alternator that sits on top of the engine so that it gets less mud and lasts a bit longer.

looking for another 12v, no 24v planned

I've looked at a twin alternator setup but I've not found I need it, even though I run twin motor gigglepin winches in front ant rear.

But then I run twin exide maxxima's (50Amp hous each) and a optima PC2250 (126Amp hours).

My alternator is a standard 100Amp for a V8

Putting a single big alternator on reduces the low speed Amp output of the alternator so you have to rev the engine more and they are very expensive to get another 50Amp.

Also some people go for 2 different banks of batteries one for the winches and one for the engine, but this wastes a lot of potential as the alternator charging the engine battery only needs to output about 8 Amps.

I found a system to run 2 alternators on one battery bank (http://www.adverc.co.uk/product/18), designed for twin engine boats and high electrical demand vehicles like ambulances.

As for mounting the second alternator I only seen to done on a 2.8 tgv engine, not a TD5

I've looked at a twin alternator setup but I've not found I need it, even though I run twin motor gigglepin winches in front ant rear.

But then I run twin exide maxxima's (50Amp hous each) and a optima PC2250 (126Amp hours).

My alternator is a standard 100Amp for a V8

Putting a single big alternator on reduces the low speed Amp output of the alternator so you have to rev the engine more and they are very expensive to get another 50Amp.

Also some people go for 2 different banks of batteries one for the winches and one for the engine, but this wastes a lot of potential as the alternator charging the engine battery only needs to output about 8 Amps.

I found a system to run 2 alternators on one battery bank (http://www.adverc.co.uk/product/18), designed for twin engine boats and high electrical demand vehicles like ambulances.

As for mounting the second alternator I only seen to done on a 2.8 tgv engine, not a TD5

thanks - looked at the boat system. don't necessarily want (another) electric box on the truck, so maybe theres a easier solution? heard that one can use two diodes after each alternator preventing the electricity to flow back to the alternator.

nounting on the td5 doesn't look to complicated

cheers

cheers

spec

would like the second alternator also for redundancy.

• 5 years later...

chatting via email to Gwyn Lewis who does twin alt mounts for 200/300Tdi's and V8's, he has tried to make a mount for the Td5, there was a problem with re-routing the top coolant hose, but he is still looking at doing one at some point.... I'm sure he will find a solition, he usually does! he said to keep an eye on his Facebook page!

I run a second alternator on my 200tdi set up for overlanding. I use the Gwyn Lewis conversion and fitted this cos the original 45A alternator struggled to keep my leisure batteries charged so I added an 85 A disco alternator. The Gwyn Lewis kit also keeps the second unit up high away from the crud. I went down this route as I like the idea of having 2 alternators in case one fails on a trip then there is less pressure to change it straight away.

Wiring is a doddle.

Small wire from signal terminal to dash, through a 5w bulb to earth

Run a big wire from the main feed terminal to the positive terminal (i wired mine to the starter battery in case the first alternator fails)

Run the earth to earth

Remember to use big cables if upgrading.

Perhaps he had some customers complaining about bad charging, due to what appears to be powdercoating on his brackets.

And agree, I see no need for the relay, you don't see it on OE setups for sure.

Gwyn's diagram is carp, alternator earth's to the engineblock, 2nd battery earth's to anything you like. Relays aren't required, just an Aux live through a 5watt bulb to the alternators ind terminal and B+ goes to the battery +.

Actually being that Gwyn's brackets are powder coated they tend to have a very poor earth to the block, so it makes sense to has a short large earth earth wire from alternator body to the block.

But I do agree that relays are not needed

Gwyn's diagram is carp, alternator earth's to the engineblock, 2nd battery earth's to anything you like. Relays aren't required, just an Aux live through a 5watt bulb to the alternators ind terminal and B+ goes to the battery +.

I agree and have no relay (see my earlier post) but have earthed the alternator to the block.