Rebuilding a GKN overdrive

I've got a GKN overdrive that im thinking of selling. It had a problem like a slipping clutch when cold. A potential buyer has said that that it is the clutch pack that is worn and needs replacing. These are listed at £191 on Devon 4x4 website.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience of rebuilding these units? How hard is it and does anyone know where I could get an exploded diagram for it. For sake of a couple hundred quid I'd rather repair it and keep for another vehicle rather than let it go cheap...

Easy enough to pull apart. Do a google on Laycock and Volvo and you'll find a very good american site on them. The GKN Type R is near enough the same as a type J from Tbox adaptor back, it's an old Laycock DeNormanville design.

Hardest part is fishing the snap rings out of the oil pump drive, I didn't touch the various pump covers, you need to make spanners for them. A hydraulic press with a selection of spacers and bars makes it easy to get bearings off.

Got fed up with mine playing up, removed permanantly now and going a fit a Disco tbox

Easy enough to pull apart. Do a google on Laycock and Volvo and you'll find a very good american site on them. The GKN Type R is near enough the same as a type J from Tbox adaptor back, it's an old Laycock DeNormanville design.

Hardest part is fishing the snap rings out of the oil pump drive, I didn't touch the various pump covers, you need to make spanners for them. A hydraulic press with a selection of spacers and bars makes it easy to get bearings off.

Got fed up with mine playing up, removed permanantly now and going a fit a Disco tbox

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/jod/JOD1/JOD1.htm

Easy as Sean says. I have pulled mine to pieces and put back together again (i was replacing gaskets). Ralph refused to pull his to bits at the time to advise me on mine! :lol:

Not sure what in there classes as a clutch pack though! PM me if you cant get it into pieces and i can probably guide you through it - it really is components that go together and either work or dont.

That link is very informative though.

• Like 1

If you get a good swing going, they land in the back of the workshop with a very satisfying THUD! :lol:

Might try rebuilding mine if I ever manage to tunnel that far back, and if I'm in a good mood... so let us know how you get on :rolleyes:

Dave