Tax free Discovery...

Tetsu0san

basically its on a limited mileage agricultural use tax class.

The rules re as per agricultural vehicles (tractors)

As are quite probably thousands of old 4x4s around the country.

As for the MOT I don't think it is required but should you have an accident You would need to prove the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition.

Most farmers I know who use their tax exempt 4x4 on the road still get them mot'd for this reason.

You could always take out the back seats fit some fancy bit of equipment and tax your vehicle as mobile plant I think they are tax exempt and mot exempt.

as for tax exempt discoverys A garage less than 20miles from me once re shelled a tax exempt range rover with a discovery chassis. I think there are a handful of these around.

Nowadays I think it would be worth more with its original body.

basically its on a limited mileage agricultural use tax class.

The rules re as per agricultural vehicles (tractors)

No, te rules are quite different,

From directgov:

Limited use vehicles

You can tax your vehicle in the ‘limited use’ tax class if it’s used solely for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry and:

it’s used on public roads only in passing between different areas of land occupied by the same person

the distance it travels on public roads in passing between any two such areas does not exceed 1.5 kilometres

The direct.gov.uk site does not say it, but the Limited Agricultural Use class is restricted to no more than six miles per week on the road. It also applies only to vehicles in the ownership of the occupier of the land between which the vehicle is moved. Essentially, it's designed to allow farmers to move machinery and plant around their own land without having to bother with tax or MOT for vehicles which it would often be difficult to classify anyway.

As has already been said, it's not the same taxation class as an agricultural tractor, and it does not remove the requirement for 3rd party insurance.

Nick.