LED sidelights and indicators etc

guy009

Hi all,

I've been working on my new landrover 110 (an 87 high top csw v8 that has been converted to a 200tdi) and have a lot of problems and questions I've been researching and trying to answer, sorry if I will be spamming the boards with more over the next few days.

First up is led lights. I have been looking at the rdx and wipac lights on places such as boltonbits and jgs4x4 and wondering if anyone has tried these? They include the adjustable flasher relay, one set is around 110 quid and coloured whilst the rdx are clear and around 160 quid. I don't mind paying the cash if they are good quality and long lasting rather than chav gimmick.

My standard side and flasher units are really poor, bulbs corroded inside, contacts snapped, lens cracked etc and I'd much rather upgrade. The final straw was when I upgraded my headlights and on reassembly many of the flasher/sidelight fittings needed a poke or prod to get working, some arcing around the earth contact(!) and blowing the flasher fuse and even now the trailer light is on rather than the indicator light. I checked the wiring and I am pretty sure it's the old fittings causing the problem.

Cheers

Guy

I fitted the coloured rdx standard size light set on my 110 I was very impressed with them the crimp connectors they come with are rubbish but that's easily solved. Unfortunately for other reasons I sold the truck only a year after fitting them but put it this way I've bought another set for our other land rover and a different style from the same seller for the ibex.

Mike

I run LED's in ordinary Defender lights....

I have ordinary tunstone bulbs for the indicators. The vehicle is a 1995 build. I have no problems, yet, with what I have fitted.

So as has already been suggested. Clean up the existing contacts, if necessary cut the connector off and fit new, you might find "black" wiring which will have to be replaced.

99% of Defender lighting problems go straight to bad earths and connectors

I used to run LEDs in the standard lights, but still had all the usual corrosion issues, filling with water etc. This made the LEDs not last any longer than the bulbs so decided I was wasting my time and money. I reckon the RDX ones would survive quite a hard impact too, they appear to be very solid. I havent done a comparison with the Wipac ones so I can't comment on them, but have heard good reports.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm leaning towards the rdx ones but agree I've clearly got some wiring issues to sort out first. Great...

And I've witnessed some 'black' wiring too. Wasn't banking on having to run new wiring but I guess it's going to have to happen.

Cheers

I wouldn't say neccisarily run new wiring, just do some continuity and resistance checks on the related bulb holder earth tab and a shiny metal point on the chassis or body. There should be very little to no resistance.

then regardless of how.good the resistance is, get some.emery tape and clean all earth wire terminals and the point on the body or chassis.