discovery 1 diff and transfer box questions

hi all, I'm putting in a ls3 v8 into my discovery 1, its having a 6l80e auto transmission. I'm told the diffs and the transfer box now may not be up to the power output, i just wanted your guys knowledge on it and advice if you could please.

is there diffs i can upgrade to ?

is there mods to the transfer box i can do?

ideally i want it to put the power down and i really want to feel confident it will hold up to it all.

the power out put could be close to 500bhp. its been done on some defenders, adding an ls3 but i have no idea what they have done to modify these parts.

any help and advice you can give would be greatly appreciated

cheers all

It depends what you're using it for. I've thoroughly abused a 550bhp ls3 powered 6l80e defender on the road with standard ish sized road tyres and standard axles and transfer box. It coped absolutely fine, but if you fitted some decent sized mud tyres and gave it some stick off road I'm certain it would kill standard axle parts fairly quickly

Lt230 is actually a very strong unit but worth rebuilding one for the job. There are plenty of horror stories but I suspect they could have been old ones on their last legs Or abused slamming into low box at speed. Treat anything like that and your asking for trouble.

Axles, well LR are not known for their strength. If it was me I'd go for a Salisbury or Dana rear end which (I'm awaiting an email weather I can get 30 spline parts for my Detroit) but can quite easily be upgraded For larger shafts. A bit of research into ratio options throws up loads of options and using yank shaft supplier with some mixing and matching you can get a seriously strong axle.

Front end, it's up to you part of me says keep rover for steering geometry and ease but you are limited to a rover unit pegged and uprated it will be alright but limitations are 24 spline Ashcroft shafts and cv's. Other options are Toy stuff but means messing with steering and brackets and suchlike. I don't suspect you will get much change from £3000 for axle setup.